CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & NORTH WESTERN

Harvard Subdivision (Wisconsin Division/Subdivision 4)

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Multiple track line with single direction ABS, with some segments receiving CTC in 1990's.


Click for Google Maps of Chicago Area

CY TOWER
Tower listed with main line

WOOD STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1914
Closed 1960

Former beginning of three track segment to Barrington, later replaced with expanded CY Tower.

KOSTNER AVENUE
Electric interlocking installed 1914
Closed early 1960's

Formerly a separate tower, later consolidated with Mayfair.

MAYFAIR
Mechanical interlocking installed 1895
Electric interlocking installed 1910
Closed March 3, 1997, demolished December 18, 1997

Junction of various former Chicago & North Western lines, and crossing with former Milwaukee Road C&M Subdivision now owned by Metra and operated by Canadian Pacific. Now controlled from CY Tower.

DEVAL
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Burned May, 2005, demolished November 26, 2012

Crossing with Milwaukee Subdivision, and with CN former Soo Line/Wisconsin Central line. Now controlled from CY Tower.

SEEGER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911
Interlocking replaced with hand operated switches in 1917
Remote interlocking installed 1930, controlled from Deval

Originally known as NY Tower. Junction with connecting track from Milwaukee Subdivision from Proviso Yard.

BARRINGTON STATION
Remote interlocking installed 1930, controlled from Barrington station

Remote interlocking installed at north end of newly extended three track segment. Since late 1990's controlled by dispatcher.

BARRINGTON
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern

Click for Google Map of McHenry County/Southeast

CRYSTAL LAKE JCT.

Junction with McHenry Subdivision. Hand operated switches, apparently operated by Crystal Lake station operator.

Click for Google Map of McHenry County/Northwest

SOUTH HARVARD
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898

Junction with "KD" line or Farm Subdivision, largely abandoned 1939.

HARVARD JCT.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Replaced with semi automatic interlocking 1943

Junction with "KD" line or Farm Subdivision, largely abandoned 1939. Although segment west of Harvard evolved into part of Beloit Subdivision. As a semi automatic interlocking has hand operated switches and spring switches.