CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & NORTH WESTERN

Kenosha Subdivision (Wisconsin Division/Subdivision 1)

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Multiple track line with single direction ABS, with some segments receiving CTC in 1990's.


Click for Google Map of Chicago/North

CY TOWER
Tower listed with main line

DEERING BRIDGE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Electric pneumatic interlocking installed 1899
Electric interlocking installed 1907
Electric interlocking installed 1916
Bridge replaced 1916
Closed 1980's

Former drawbridge, and beginning of what was formerly three tracks north to Evanston. Effective May 14, 1984, a new timetable eliminated faster trains passing slower trains, enabling removal of the third track.

ROSE HILL
Mechanical interlocking installed 1899

Little is known about this interlocking, other than that in the early 1900's, this was the north end of three tracks.

Click for Google Map of Cook County/North Shore

MAIN STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1910
Closed late 1950's

Interlocked crossovers formerly existed, with the line formerly three tracks at this location.

CANAL
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed 1984

Former junction with now abandoned Weber Subdivision line to Mayfair, and north end of former three track segment in later years. Effective May 14, 1984, a new timetable eliminated faster trains passing slower trains, enabling removal of the third track.

WILMETTE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911
Closed by 1950's

Former interlocking at north end of former three track segment. In later years, the north end of the three track segment was at Canal.

Click for Google Map of Lake County/South

LAKE BLUFF
Electric interlocking installed 1904
Closed 1970's, remotely controlled from Tower KO

Junction with Lake Subdivision from Tower KO, connecting with Milwaukee Subdivision between Proviso Yard and Milwaukee.

WAUKEGAN
Mechanical interlocking installed 1894
Closed 1941

Crossing, prior to elevation of Elgin Joliet & Eastern over Chicago & North Western.