Now owned by Metra, operated by CP.
Multiple track line.
Tower listed with Metra
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Former crossing with Union Pacific former Chicago & North Western Cragin Subdivision, now a junction with Belt Railway of Chicago. For many years was controlled remotely from Tower A-5.
Interlocking installed 1905
In the early 1900's, this was the west end of four tracks. Galewood was also the junction of the Dunning spur, serving the state psychiatric hospital, now Chicago Read Mental Health Center.
Click for Google Map of Cook County/West-North
TOWER B-12 (Franklin Park)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1896
Closed July 19, 1996
Tower relocated November 11, 1997 to park a short distance west, for display
Crossing with CN former Soo Line/Wisconsin Central, and east end of Bensenville Yard. Metra North Central trains switch railroads here, using connecting tracks at northeast quadrant.
Click for Google Map of Du Page County
TOWER B-17 (Bensenville)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1906
New tower constructed 1953
STILL IN USE
West end of Bensenville Yard, and junction with line connecting with Union Pacific (former Chicago & North Western) Milwaukee Subdivision at Bryn Mawr. Tower operator also controls CTC between there and Elgin, installed in 1956.
BRYN MAWR (Tower B)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1918
Burned 1928, temporarily replaced with switchtenders
Remote interlocking installed 1932, controlled from Tower B-17
Junction where CP (former Milwaukee Road) freight connection from Tower B-17 and Bensenville Yard joins Union Pacific (former Chicago & North Western) Milwaukee Subdivision, for trackage rights to Shermer. Junction was previously further east, prior to railroad relocation allowing for development of O'Hare Airport.
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern
Click for Google Map of Kane County/North
TOWER B-35 (Elgin)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Interlocking rebuilt 1938
Present interlocking controls CP (former Milwaukee Road) single track over Fox River bridge. Bridge was a gauntlet until 1938, when reconfigured as single track with movable switches. Future plans include double tracking the bridge. Paralleling to the southwest is the Union Pacific (former Chicago & North Western) Belvidere Subdivision. Until 1983, a Chicago & North Western branch diverged north, crossing the Milwaukee Road, and eventually reaching Williams Bay WI. That branch was abandoned south of Crystal Lake, with the remainder north of Crystal Lake evolving to the McHenry Subdivision.
Installed 1956, control machine at Tower B-17