ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & EASTERN ILLINOIS

Salem Subdivision/Joppa Subdivision

Segments now owned by Union Pacific, some segments abandoned.


SA TOWER (Salem)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1895
Replaced with automatic interlocking around 1962

Crossing with Baltimore & Ohio St. Louis Division.

Click for Google Map of Salem

VN TOWER (Mount Vernon)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1895
Closed by 1980's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Crossing with Southern Railway St. Louis Division and Evansville Western Railway (former Louisville & Nashville).

Click for Google Map of Mount Vernon

BENTON
CTC interlocking installed around 1980's

Crossing with CN former Illinois Central Eldorado Subdivision.

Click for Google Map of Benton

MARION
Non interlocked crossing

Former crossing with Illinois Central Carbondale District, abandoned 1981, and Missouri Pacific Marion Subdivision, abandoned 1972.

Click for Google Map of Marion

HUDGENS (Neilson)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911
Closed late 1960's

Junction with Burlington Beardstown Subdivision, north end of segment where that line has trackage rights.

WV TOWER (West Vienna)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911
Closed late 1960's

Junction with Burlington Beardstown Subdivision, south end of segment where that line has trackage rights.

BELOW ABANDONED 1980's

TAMMS
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1948

Former crossing with Gulf Mobile & Ohio, abandoned 1980's.

FAYVILLE
Tower listed with Missouri Pacific

THEBES
Tower listed with Missouri Pacific

ABOVE ABANDONED 1980's
BELOW ABANDONED 1990's

OAKTOWN (Karnak)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Closed by 1930's/non interlocked

Former crossing of Joppa Subdivision with New York Central Cairo Branch, abandoned 1982.