CHICAGO BUS AND STREETCAR ROUTES

ROUTES 50-59

Unless noted, all extension or replacement bus routes were operated by the same companies which had introduced the streetcar routes. In 1908, Calumet Electric Street Railway and South Chicago City Railway merged to form Calumet & South Chicago Railway. Prior to the formation of CTA, Chicago Railways was the only company operating trolleybuses.


50 Damen
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (south of Fullerton)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Electric Railway/Chicago Railways (north of Irving Park)
Bus route introduced by Chicago Railways (Fullerton to Irving Park)

1893 - horse car service introduced from Blue Island Ave. to 18th St.
1894 - horse car service introduced from 14th St. to Milwaukee Ave.
1896 - both route segments converted to electric streetcar
1897 - electric streetcar service introduced north of Irving Park/Lincoln Damen to Rosehill
1897 - extended from Milwaukee Ave. to Fullerton
1910 - extended from 18th St. to 14th St., forming through route from Blue Island to Fullerton
6/16/47 - extension bus route 50A introduced from Fullerton to Irving Park
8/1/48 - north streetcar segment converted to buses, combined into bus route 50A
5/13/51 - streetcar route converted to buses, extension route combined into main route

Streetcar service north of Irving Park was originally a branch of the Lincoln route, known as the Lincoln-Rosehill route. Effective 8/1/48, Lincoln-Rosehill streetcars replaced with extension of 50A bus.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Car House: Blue Island
Bus Garages: Limits (6/16/47-8/1/48)
Ardmore (8/1/48-5/29/50)
North Park (5/29/50-5/13/51)
Blue Island/North Park (5/13/51-1/16/55)
Lawndale/North Park (1/16/55-9/7/57)
Lawndale/Limits (9/7/57-2/9/64)
Lawndale/North Park (2/9/64-12/16/73)
Kedzie/North Park (12/16/73-9/2/79)
Lawndale/North Park (9/2/79-6/29/84)
North Park (6/29/84-9/9/84)
Kedzie/North Park (9/9/84-9/7/86)
Lawndale/North Park (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Kedzie (7/3/94-3/23/2008)
Archer (3/23/2008-2/7/2010)
North Park (2/7/2010-present)


51 51st
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1887 - horse car service introduced from State St. to South Park (King Dr.)
1895 - route converted to electric streetcar
1898 - electric streetcar service introduced from Halsted to Wood St.
1899 - electric streetcar service introduced from State St. to Halsted
5/15/10 - extended west to Leavitt
7/15/12 - extended west to Kedzie
11/2/30 - extended east via 55th St. between Cottage Grove and Lake Park Ave.
9/9/46 - 55th St. segment converted to buses, as separate route 51A
5/30/48 - streetcar route converted to buses, 55th St. segment combined into main route
6/20/48 - converted to trolleybuses
6/21/59 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses, 55th segment transferred to route 55
12/28/97 - route extended east of Cottage Grove via Hyde Park Blvd. to Lake Park Ave.
8/31/2003 - segment east of 47th/Dan Ryan transferred to route 15 Jeffery Local

East of Cottage Grove, 51st St. is actually designated Hyde Park Blvd., originally served by CMC. Route 51 never operated east of Cottage Grove until 12/28/97, when route was extended east to Lake Park Ave., compensating for reduction in service of route 1 Indiana-Hyde Park. This segment would be discontinued effective 8/31/2003, replaced with new route 15 Jeffery Local.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Car House: Archer
Bus Garages: Archer (9/9/46-3/23/2008)
74th St. (3/23/2008-12/16/2012)
77th St. (12/16/2012-present)


52 Kedzie-California
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (north of Cermak)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (north of Cermak)
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Southern Street Railway (Cermak to 31st St.)
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (south of 31st St.)

1883 - horse car service introduced on California Ave. from North Ave. to Armitage
1889 - horse car service introduced on California Ave. from Chicago Ave. to Division
1892 - horse car service introduced on Kedzie from Madison to Roosevelt
1895 - horse car service introduced on Kedzie from Cermak to 31st St.
1896 - all horse car segments converted to electric streetcar
1896 - extended from Madison to Chicago Ave. and from Division to North Ave.
1896 - horse car service introduced on Kedzie from 38th St. to 63rd St.
1896 - segment 38th St. to 63rd St. converted to electric streetcar
1897 - electric streetcar service introduced on California Ave. from Armitage to Elston
7/15/08 - extended on Kedzie from Roosevelt to Cermak
1910 - extended on Kedzie from 31st St. to 38th St.
2/1/11 - Through Route streetcar introduced, originally route 17
2/7/13 - electric streetcar service introduced north on Kedzie from Elston to Lawrence
11/3/15 - extended south to 67th St., originally for Through Route 17
12/4/49 - north Kedzie converted to buses, transferred to route 82A Kedzie-Homan
5/11/52 - buses substituted on weekends
5/30/54 - streetcar route converted to buses, discontinued south of 63rd St.
12/4/55 - converted to trolleybuses
3/15/69 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses
2/1/70 - north Kedzie segment transferred to route 93 North California
1/24/82 - north Kedzie segment discontinued
6/21/82 - north Kedzie service restored as route 89 North Kedzie
2/2/92 - route 89 North Kedzie discontinued

In 1896, electric streetcar conversion and extensions enabled formation of a Kedzie-California through route from Roosevelt/Kedzie to Armitage/California. Segment between 21st St. and Archer actually introduced by Chicago General Railway Co., acquired by Southern Street Railway Co. in 1905. From 2/1/11 to 12/4/49, route supplemented by Through Route 17, which included a north Kedzie extension. North Kedzie extension operated via Elston from Calfornia Ave. to Kedzie until 12/31/15, when shifted to Milwaukee Ave. from Calfornia Ave. to Kedzie. 52 route largely remained unchanged to the present.

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Car House/Bus Garage: Kedzie
North Park/Archer (weekends 5/11/52-12/4/55)
Lawndale (9/2/79-6/29/84)


52A South Kedzie
Bus route introduced by Chicago City Railway

8/19/46 - introduced as bus route from 67th St. to 115th St.
12/15/53 - extended north to 63rd St.
11/11/56 - extended west via 115th St. to Central Park Ave.
12/4/60 - extended west via 115th St. to Pulaski

Bus Garage: 77th St. (8/19/46-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
69th St. (6/26/88-6/18/95)
Archer (6/18/95-3/23/2008)
74th St. (3/23/2008-12/16/2012)
77th St. (12/16/2012-present)


53 Pulaski
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Electric Transit Co./Chicago Railways (north of Elston)
Streetcar route introduced by Cicero & Proviso Street Railway/Chicago Railways (Elston to Madison)
Streetcar route introduced by Ogden Street Railway/Chicago Railways (south of Madison)

1897 - electric streetcar service introduced from Elston to Cemetery Drive
1897 - electric streetcar service introduced from 31st St. to 26th St.
1905 - electric streetcar service introduced from Ogden to Madison
1907 - route completed from 31st St. to Madison
1911 - route completed from 31st St. to Cemetery Drive
9/15/15 - extended north to Bryn Mawr
10/28/46 - extension bus route 53B introduced between Bryn Mawr and Peterson
2/25/51 - buses substituted on weekends
9/16/51 - streetcar route and extension bus route converted to trolleybuses, one route
3/24/73 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses

Streetcar route existed as far north as Bryn Mawr Ave., with extension bus route created to the north.

Owl service

Car House: Lawndale/North Ave. (until 12/4/47)
North Ave. (12/4/47-9/16/51)
Bus Garage: Lawrence (10/28/46-5/29/50)
North Park (5/29/50-9/16/51)
North Ave. (2/25/51-9/7/86)
Lawndale (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


53A South Pulaski
Bus route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1/25/37 - introduced as bus route from 47th St. to 63rd St.
8/9/37 - extended north to 31st St.
7/2/42 - extended south to 75th St.
6/21/59 - extended south to 87th St.
9/11/66 - extended south to 103rd St.
3/27/67 - extended south to 111th St.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Certain rush hour trips limited stops 11/7/93-2/7/2010

Bus Garages: Archer (1/25/37-3/23/2008)
74th St. (3/23/2008-12/16/2012)
77th St. (12/16/2012-present)


54 Cicero
Streetcar route introduced by Cicero & Proviso Street Railway/Chicago Railways (north of Madison)
Streetcar route introduced by Ogden Street Railway/Chicago Railways (south of Madison)

1891 - electric streetcar service introduced from Madison to Lake
1895 - extended north to Chicago Ave. and south to 25th St.
1/1/13 - extended north to Irving Park Rd.
1/4/26 - extended north to Montrose
12/4/49 - buses substituted on weekends
11/25/51 - streetcar route converted to trolleybuses
3/24/73 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Certain weekday trips limited stops 6/18/2006-2/7/2010

Car House: North Ave.
Bus Garage: North Ave. (12/4/49-9/7/86)
Lawndale (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


54A North Cicero
Bus route introduced by Chicago Railways

3/24/47 - introduced as bus route, operating north to Peterson Ave.
3/3/57 - extended north to Devon and East to Kedzie, redesignated route 14 Devon-Cicero
6/11/79 - restructured into two separate routes 54A and 155A west Devon
9/13/81 - route 155A discontinued

When route was restructured into two separate routes, route 54A operated north via present route to Old Orchard shopping center, and route 155A west Devon operated on Devon. When Saturday service was finally discontinued, Pace introduced its route 254 in its place, discontinued 3/20/2005.

Sunday service discontinued 3/4/57
Saturday service discontinued 9/7/76
Saturday service restored 6/11/79
Saturday service discontinued 2/2/92, replaced by Pace route 254
Midday service discontinued 12/28/97

Bus Garage: Lawrence (3/24/47-5/30/54)
North Park (5/30/54-12/4/55)
Forest Glen (12/4/55-present)


54B South Cicero
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

5/22/04 - electric streetcar service introduced between Archer and 63rd St.
7/10/04 - service extended west on 63rd St. to Central, replacing 63rd St. route
1/3/11 - service extended west on 63rd St. to Archer Road in Argo
12/4/16 - 63rd St. service extended west to Central, coexisting with South Cicero route
10/1/29 - South Cicero service discontinued on 63rd St.
1/6/41 - streetcar route converted to buses, route at time was number 64
10/5/42 - bus route extended south to defense plant, present location of Ford City Mall
2/8/43 - bus route extended north to Cermak
1952 - route 64 renumbered to route 54B

Route originally numbered 64.

Car House: Archer
Bus Garage: Archer (1/6/41-9/7/86)
Lawndale (9/7/86-7/4/93)
Archer (7/4/93-2/7/2010)
Chicago Ave. (2/7/2010-present)


55 Elston
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Electric Transit Co./Chicago Railways

1894 - electric streetcar service introduced from Milwaukee Ave. to Montrose
11/28/14 - extended northwest to Lawrence
7/1/30 - extension trolleybus route 55A introduced from Lawrence to Holbrook
1/21/51 - streetcar and trolleybus routes converted to motor buses, one route
4/28/57 - north segment transferred to route 41 Elston-Clybourn
6/20/59 - route number 55 assigned to Garfield route, Elston route renumbered 13
9/9/73 - route 13 Elston discontinued

Effective 4/28/57, service north of Belmont Ave. routed through with Clybourn route forming 41 Elston-Clybourn route. Elston route continued via Elston Ave. between Montrose Ave. and downtown.

Owl service discontinued 4/28/57
Midday service discontinued 7/30/61 south segment
Midday service discontinued 9/13/81 north segment

Car House: Elston (also trolleybuses)
Bus Garage: North Park (1/21/51-12/4/55)
Forest Glen (12/4/55-9/9/73)


55 Garfield
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1869 - horse car service introduced on 55th St. east of Cottage Grove Ave.
1874 - horse car route on 55th St. converted to steam dummy
1887 - steam dummy route on 55th St. converted to cable car
10/21/06 - cable car segment converted to electric streetcar
9/30/12 - Through Route 1 Cottage Grove-Broadway streetcar introduced, using 55th St.
11/2/30 - some streetcar service on 55th St. also provided by extension of 51st St. route
9/9/46 - 51st St. extension streetcar service replaced by extension bus route 51A
10/7/46 - Through Route 1 Cottage Grove-Broadway streetcar discontinued on 55th St.
8/1/47 - all remaining streetcar service discontinued on east segment of 55th St.
5/30/48 - route 51A combined again into 51st St. route, converted to bus route 51
6/20/48 - route 51 51st-55th converted to trolleybuses
6/21/59 - route 51 trolleybuses replaced with motor buses, separate routes 51 and 55
9/28/69 - route 55 extended west to Cicero Ave., replacing former CMC route 6 Garfield

West of Cottage Grove Ave. and Washington Park, 55th St. is actually designated Garfield Blvd., originally served by CMC bus route 6 Garfield, operating from downtown via Michigan Ave. Service on 55th St. east of Cottage Grove Ave. was originally a branch of the Cottage Grove streetcar route, from downtown. For many years, the east segment of 55th St. was served both by Cottage Grove streetcars and 51st St. streetcars. After the 51st St. extension streetcar was replaced with the 51A bus, and the Through Route 1 Cottage Grove-Broadway streetcar route was discontinued, streetcars continued during rush hours only, as a branch of the Cottage Grove route. The last streetcars on this segment were discontinued 8/1/47. Effective 6/21/59, service on 55th St. east of Cottage Grove Ave. was replaced with new bus route 55, operating as far west as Morgan via Garfield Blvd. Route 6 discontinued from downtown and consolidated into route 55, effective 9/28/69 with opening of Dan Ryan rapid transit line.

Owl service introduced 9/13/81, when owl service was discontinued on routes 51 and 59

Certain #55 rush hour trips limited stops 6/24/2002-2/7/2010

Bus Garage: Archer (9/9/46-6/20/59)
69th St. (6/20/59-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-present)


55A 55th-Austin
Bus route introduced by CTA

10/10/60 - segment on Austin Ave. introduced as extension of bus route 47A West 47th
7/5/76 - route 47A combined into route 47 47th, operating as rush hour extension
1/24/88 - route 47 extension discontinued, Austin segment becomes branch of route 62
11/7/93 - Austin segment restructured as rail feeder route 62A Archer-Austin
7/3/94 - redesignated as route 55A 55th-Austin, serving Midway Airport rail station

Restructured in 1993 as feeder route connecting with newly opened rapid transit line to Midway Airport. Replaced Austin branch of 62 Archer route. This Austin branch had replaced route 47/47A extension service in 1988. After opening of rapid transit line, originally connected with rapid transit at Pulaski/Archer, later changed to route 55A serving Midway station.

Operated rush hours only

Bus Garage: Archer (10/10/60-2/7/2010)
74th St. (2/7/2010-present)


55N 55th-Narragansett
Bus route introduced by CTA

9/11/66 - segment on Narragansett introduced as branch of 62X Archer Express
1/4/82 - segment on Narragansett becomes part of new route 164 Narragansett Express
11/7/93 - Narragansett segment restructured as route 62N Archer-Narragansett
7/3/94 - redesignated as route 55N 55th-Narragansett, serving Midway Airport station

Restructured in 1993 as feeder route connecting with newly opened rapid transit line to Midway Airport. Replaced portion of 164 Narragansett Express, which had operated from downtown via Stevenson Expressway. After opening of rapid transit line, originally connected with rapid transit at Pulaski/Archer, later changed to route 55N serving Midway station effective 7/3/94.

No Sunday service

Bus Garage: Archer (9/11/66-2/7/2010)
74th St. (2/7/2010-present)


56 Milwaukee
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad Co./Chicago Railways (south of Kedzie)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Electric Railway/Chicago Railways (north of Kedzie)

1863 - horse car service introduced from downtown to Augusta
1873 - extended northwest to Division
1874 - extended northwest to North Ave.
1878 - extended northwest to Armitage
1890 - horse car route converted to cable car
1892 - horse car service introduced from Armitage to Kedzie
1894 - electric streetcar service introduced from Kedzie to Lawrence
1896 - segment Armitage to Kedzie converted to electric streetcar
8/19/06 - cable car segment converted to electric streetcar
10/1/27 - North Milwaukee route combined into main Milwaukee route
10/28/51 - buses substituted on weekends
5/11/52 - streetcar route converted to buses
2/1/70 - North Milwaukee segment transferred to new route 56A North Milwaukee

Route split into two present segments at Jefferson Park terminal, upon opening of new rapid transit extension to Jefferson Park.

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Certain rush hour trips limited stops 10/29/51-2/1/70

Car House: Armitage
Bus Garage: North Park (10/28/51-12/4/55)
Forest Glen (12/4/55-present)


56A North Milwaukee
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Railways

12/11/14 - electric streetcar service introduced Jefferson Park to Imlay
10/1/27 - route combined into main Milwaukee route
10/28/51 - buses substituted on weekends
5/11/52 - streetcar route converted to buses
2/1/70 - route split off from route 56 Milwaukee, as separate route
12/16/2012 - discontinued, replaced by Pace route 270

Route split into two segments at Jefferson Park terminal, upon opening of new rapid transit extension to Jefferson Park. Beginning in 1922, bus service operated over this segment further into the suburbs, operated many years by United Motor Coach Co. and evolving to Pace route 270. Beginning in 1992, service was gradually shifted to Pace route 270. Service during certain periods was coordinated with Pace route 270 until 2/7/2010.

Weekend and owl service discontinued 2/2/92
Midday service discontinued 2/7/2010

Car House: Armitage
Bus Garage: North Park (10/28/51-12/4/55)
Forest Glen (12/4/55-12/16/2012)


57 Laramie
Streetcar route introduced by Suburban Railroad/Chicago Railways

1897 - Suburban RR introduces electric streetcar service between Lake St. and 22nd St.
12/21/12 - Chicago Railways acquires Suburban RR trackage within city of Chicago
12/21/12 - service discontinued south of Harrison
12/20/37 - streetcar route converted to buses, bus route extended north to North Ave.
6/19/53 - extended north to Grand Ave.

Roosevelt Rd. was established as the Chicago city limits in 1899. Chicago Railways continued to operate north of Harrison St., with trackage abandoned between Harrison and Roosevelt. Suburban Railroad trackage outside the Chicago city limits went to County Traction Co., later Chicago & West Towns Railways.

Sunday service discontinued 10/2/61
Saturday service discontinued 9/13/81
Weekend service restored 10/14/84

Car House: North Ave.
Bus Garage: North Ave. (12/20/37-9/7/86)
Kedzie (9/7/86-1/9/94)
Lawndale (1/9/94-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


58 Odgen
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad Co./Chicago Railways

1863 - horse car service introduced from downtown via Randolph and Ogden to Madison
1876 - extended west to Western Ave.
1881 - extended west to California Ave.
1886 - extended west to Pulaski
1896 - route converted to electric streetcar
9/16/51 - streetcar route converted to buses
9/13/81 - route combined into route 37 Sedgwick-Ogden

Operated between downtown and 52nd Ave./25th St. in suburb of Cicero.

Owl service discontinued 4/6/69
Sunday service discontinued 8/5/73

Car House: Lawndale
Bus Garage: Lawndale (9/16/51-12/16/73)
Kedzie (12/16/73-9/2/79)
Lawndale (9/2/79-9/13/81)


58A Ogden Extension
Bus route introduced by Chicago Railways

1/17/38 - introduced as bus route from Ogden/Ashland to Armitage/Clark
12/1/42 - service suspended as part of wartime conservation efforts
10/1/45 - service restored
4/18/76 - renumbered route 98
9/13/81 - discontinued

Weekend service discontinued 8/5/73

Bus Garage: Limits


59 59th-61st
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1885 - horse car service introduced on 61st St. from Wentworth to Vernon
1887 - extended east to Cottage Grove
1893 - route converted to electric streetcar, extended east to Blackstone
1896 - electric streetcar service introduced on 59th St. from State to Leavitt
1899 - 59th St. and 61st St. segments combined into one route
7/5/14 - extended west to Western Ave.
11/1/14 - extended west to Kedzie
10/1/24 - extended west to Central Park Ave.
3/24/47 - extension bus route 59A introduced between Central Park Ave. and Cicero Ave.
2/15/48 - streetcar route converted to buses
5/30/48 - extension bus route combined into main route

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81
Sunday service discontinued 10/5/97

Car House: 69th St.
Bus Garage: Archer (3/24/47-9/5/54)
69th St. (9/5/54-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-present)