CHICAGO BUS AND STREETCAR ROUTES

ROUTES 40-49

Unless noted, all extension or replacement bus routes were operated by the same companies which had introduced the streetcar routes. In 1908, Calumet Electric Street Railway and South Chicago City Railway merged to form Calumet & South Chicago Railway. Prior to the formation of CTA, Chicago Railways was the only company operating trolleybuses.


40 Lincoln-Riverview

Internal accounting number for local streetcar service, not publicly used. Upon conversion to buses in 1951, route renumbered 10.


40 Planetarium

Number assigned by CTA to previously unnumbered former CMC summer beach shuttle, never separately operated by CTA, instead combined into route 126 Jackson.


40 O'Harexpress
Bus route introduced by CTA

2/1/70 - introduced as bus route, between Jefferson Park and O'Hare Airport
6/7/71 - some service operated to new office areas at Cumberland Ave.
5/29/72 - Cumberland Ave. service transferred to route 64X Cumberland Express
2/27/83 - revised to operate between River Road (Rosemont) and O'Hare Airport
9/3/84 - discontinued upon completion of rapid transit line to O'Hare Airport

Operating nonstop via Kennedy Expressway, introduced when rapid transit extension opened to Jefferson Park. When rapid transit line was further extended to River Road (Rosemont), River Road became terminal for that route.

Bus Garage: Forest Glen


41 Clybourn
Horse car route introduced by North Chicago City Railway
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways

1865 - horse car service introduced from downtown to Larrabee
1869 - extended northwest to North Ave.
1871 - extended northwest to Cortland
1883 - extended northwest to Fullerton
1888 - extended northwest to Belmont
1891 - horse car route converted to cable car, between downtown and Fullerton
1895 - electric streetcar service introduced between Fullerton and Belmont
10/21/06 - cable car segment converted to electric streetcar
5/4/47 - streetcar route converted to buses
4/28/57 - route combined with north segment of Elston route
10/5/97 - discontinued

After 4/28/57, route known as route 41 Elston-Clybourn.

Sunday and owl service discontinued 7/30/61
Saturday service discontinued 8/5/73

Car House: Division
Bus Garage: Limits (5/4/47-5/29/50)
North Park (5/29/50-4/28/57)
Forest Glen (4/28/57-10/5/97)


42 Halsted-Downtown
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1882 - horse car service introduced into downtown via Archer
1895 - route converted to electric streetcar
6/3/25 - some downtown service extended to north side via Clark St.
11/20/47 - service discontinued between downtown and north side via Clark St.
11/25/51 - buses substituted on weekends
5/29/54 - streetcar route converted to buses
11/7/93 - discontinued upon opening of rapid transit line to Midway Airport
3/27/94 - service restored
10/5/97 - discontinued

Variation of route 8 Halsted. Beginning in 1912, some route 42 service began operating south of 79th St. via Vincennes and 111th St. to Sacramento, over what now is the 112 route. While for most of route 8 Halsted service, the south terminal remained 79th St. Effective 5/24/31, the route 8 service generally turned around at 111th/Sacramento, with the route 42 service generally turning at 79th St. Route discontinued as result of completion of rapid transit line between downtown and Midway Airport.

Sunday and owl service discontinued 1940's
Saturday service discontinued 9/9/73
Midday service discontinued 1/24/82

Car House: Limits/77th St.
Bus Garage: 77th St. (11/25/51-4/24/83)
69th St. (4/24/83-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-10/5/97)


42A Vincennes
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1/26/23 - shuttle streetcar service introduced on Vincennes from 111th St. to 119th St.
7/22/46 - shuttle streetcar route converted to buses, combined with 119th St. shuttle
6/16/63 - discontinued

Route number was not publicized, used for internal accounting purposes. Combined bus route was route number 119.

Car House: 77th St.
Bus Garage: 77th St. (7/22/46-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/16/63)


43 43rd
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1866 - horse car service introduced on Root between State St. and Halsted, combined with State route
1869 - horse car route converted to steam dummy
1871 - steam dummy again replaced with horse cars
1881 - route separated from State route
1887 - extended east from State St. to Oakenwald
1895 - route converted to electric streetcar
8/9/53 - streetcar route converted to buses

From 10/7/57 to 3/25/62, route 43X Stock Yards Limited service also operated, originally introduced to replace Stock Yards rapid transit line. After then, route 43 rush hour service extended west into Stock Yards.

Sunday and owl service discontinued 2/2/92
Sunday service restored 5/31/92

Car House: Cottage Grove
Bus Garage: Archer (8/9/53-9/5/54)
52nd St. (9/5/54-4/24/83)
Archer (4/24/83-2/7/2010)
77th St. (2/7/2010-present)


44 Wallace-Racine
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1884 - horse car service introduced from downtown via Archer and Canal and 29th St. to Wallace
1888 - extended south on Wallace to 31st St.
1889 - extended south on Wallace to 39th St.
1894 - Wallace route converted to electric streetcar, extended south to Root St.
1896 - electric streetcar service extended south via Racine Ave. to 63rd St.
8/11/02 - extended south on Racine Ave. to 75th St.
4/1/14 - extended south on Racine Ave. to 79th St.
4/25/18 - extended south on Racine Ave. to 87th St.
12/4/49 - buses substituted on weekends
7/27/51 - streetcar route converted to buses
4/26/98 - downtown service discontinued

Operated into downtown via State St.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Car House: 69th St. (until 2/15/48)
77th St. (2/15/48-7/27/51)
Bus Garage: 77th St. (12/4/49-5/30/54)
69th St. (5/30/54-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-present)


45 Ashland-Downtown
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1884 - horse car service introduced from downtown to 39th St. via Archer and Ashland
1895 - route converted to electric streetcar
2/14/54 - streetcar route converted to buses
11/7/93 - discontinued upon opening of rapid transit line to Midway Airport

Variation of route 9 Ashland.

Sunday service discontinued 5/1/32
Subsequently operated rush hours only

Car House/Bus Garage: 69th St.


46 Noble
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways

1885 - horse car service introduced from Milwaukee Ave. to North Ave.
1896 - route converted to electric streetcar
3/5/32 - discontinued


46 Southport
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways

1894 - electric streetcar service introduced from Cortland to Irving Park Rd.
1896 - extended into downtown via various streets
10/16/12 - segment also becomes extension of Ashland route
9/14/24 - downtown service discontinued
8/21/36 - segment becomes branch of Ashland route, with completion of main route on Ashland
8/31/47 - streetcar route converted to buses, split off from Ashland as separate route.
8/5/73 - discontinued

Owl service discontinued 1950's
Sunday service discontinued 10/22/61
Midday service discontinued 2/7/65

Bus Garage: Ardmore (8/31/47-5/29/50)
Limits (5/29/50-8/5/73)


47 47th
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1887 - horse car service introduced from State St. to Ashland
1882 - extended east of to Cottage Grove
1893 - route converted to electric streetcar
1895 - electric streetcar service extended east to Lake Park Ave.
1896 - electric streetcar service extended west to Kedzie
5/26/35 - extension bus route 47A introduced from Kedzie to Kostner
1/14/51 - extension bus route 47A extended west to Cicero Ave.
4/15/51 - streetcar route converted to buses, split with extension route at Archer
3/12/52 - main route converted to trolleybuses east of Archer
6/20/65 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses
9/11/66 - main route replaces extension route between Archer and Cicero Ave.

Streetcar route existed between Lake Park Ave. and Kedzie. Service operated east of King Drive, coexisting with 28 Stony Island route to Lake Park Ave. until 9/13/81. Service restored to Lake Park Ave. effective 8/31/2003, with route 28 revised to operate express into downtown.

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Car House: Archer (until 10/21/46)
Cottage Grove (10/21/46-4/15/51)
Bus Garages: Archer (4/15/51-3/23/2008)
74th St. (3/23/2008-present)


47A West 47th
Bus route introduced by Chicago City Railway

5/26/35 - introduced as extension bus route from Kedzie to Kostner
1/14/51 - extended west to Cicero Ave.
4/15/51 - replaced with regular route 47 from Kedzie to Archer
10/10/60 - extended west via 47th, Central, Archer, Austin to 65th St.
9/11/66 - replaced with regular route 47 from Archer to Cicero
7/5/76 - route combined into route 47 47th, operating as rush hour extension
1/24/88 - extension discontinued

When discontinued in 1988, service via Austin became branch of 62 Archer route.

Bus Garage: Archer


48 South Damen
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

1/7/17 - electric streetcar service introduced from 47th St. to 63rd St.
12/28/30 - extended south to 69th St.
2/15/31 - extended south to 74th St.
8/12/46 - extension bus route 48A introduced between 74th St. and 87th St.
1/26/48 - streetcar route converted to buses, extension route combined into main route
2/11/62 - extended north to 35th/Archer

From 1954 to 1976 was route 50A South Damen.

Sunday service discontinued 8/5/73
Saturday service discontinued 9/13/81
Midday service discontinued 12/28/97

Car House: 69th St.
Bus Garage: 77th St. (8/12/46-5/30/54)
69th St. (5/30/54-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-present)


49 Western
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (between N and S Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Railways (north of N Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (between N and S Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (south of S Chicago River)

1864 - horse car service introduced from Lake St. to Madison
1878 - extended south to Van Buren
1885 - extended south to Roosevelt
1893 - extended north to Milwaukee Ave.
1894 - extended south to 26th St.
1895 - electric streetcar service introduced Elston to Roscoe
1895 - segment 26th St. to 14th St. converted to electric streetcar
1896 - segment 14th St. to Milwaukee Ave. converted to electric streetcar
1896 - electric streetcar service introduced Milwaukee Ave. to Elston
1898 - electric streetcar service introduced from Archer to 55th St.
1899 - extended south to 71st St.
1/4/11 - extended north from Archer to Chicago River
8/23/11 - extended south from 26th St. to Chicago River
9/5/11 - Through Route streetcar introduced from 71st St. to Roscoe, originally route 10
10/28/12 - extended north to Lawrence
5/1/23 - North Western route combined into main Western route
12/1/24 - extended south to 75th St.
1/11/31 - extended south to 79th St.
8/1/48 - south and north ends converted to buses, transferred to routes 49A and 49B
12/7/52 - buses substituted on weekends
6/17/56 - remaining streetcar segment converted to buses

Western Ave. is the longest street in Chicago. Streetcar service eventually operated through from Howard St. to 111th St., with only one mile from 111th St. to 119th St. not covered by streetcars. Through Route was number 10. Split into the present three separate routes 8/1/48, when buses replaced streetcars on south segment (route 49A) and on north segment (route 49B). Streetcar service continued longer on middle segment, numbered route 49. Three separate routes remained even after buses replaced streetcars on main segment.

Owl service

Certain weekday trips limited stops 12/14/98-2/7/2010, 12/21/2015-present

Car House: Archer/Division/Devon (until 5/4/47)
Archer/Devon (5/4/47-2/15/48)
Devon/69th St. (2/15/48-9/5/54)
Devon/77th St. (9/5/54-6/17/56)
Bus Garages: North Park/77th St. (12/7/52-9/5/54)
North Park/69th St. (9/5/54-7/3/94)
69th St. (7/3/94-6/18/95)
Archer (6/18/95-2/7/2010)
74th St./North Park (2/7/2010-present)


49A South Western
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway

7/26/31 - electric streetcar service extended south from 79th St. to 95th St.
11/8/31 - extended south to 111th St.
8/1/48 - south segment converted to buses, as separate route 49A, to 119th St.
12/16/2012 - discontinued, replaced by Pace route 349

Originally an extension of regular Western streetcar route 49, split into separate bus route 8/1/48. Beginning in 1992, service was gradually shifted to Pace route 349. Pace route 349 traces its history back to a South Suburban Safeway Lines bus route, which had been introduced in the early 1920's, before the streetcar line was extended south of 79th St. This was one of Chicago's last streetcar extensions.

Owl service discontinued 2/1/81
Weekend service transferred to Pace 349 10/5/97
Midday service transferred to Pace 349 12/28/97

Bus Garage: 77th St. (8/1/48-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
77th St. (6/26/88-12/16/2012)


49B North Western
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Railways

10/18/15 - electric streetcar service introduced from Lawrence to Bryn Mawr
12/31/15 - extended north to Devon
12/16/16 - extended north to Howard
5/1/23 - route combined into main Western route
8/1/48 - segment converted to buses, as separate route 49B

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Bus Garage: Ardmore (8/1/48-5/29/50)
North Park (5/29/50-present)