CHICAGO BUS AND STREETCAR ROUTES

ROUTES 1-9

Chicago's first numbered routes were "Through Routes" 1 through 23. Most of these routes no longer exist, and are described at the Through Routes page. Many of those route numbers were later reused, when all streetcar routes were assigned numbers, originally for internal accounting purposes.

Unless noted, all extension or replacement bus routes were operated by the same companies which had introduced the streetcar routes. In 1908, Calumet Electric Street Railway and South Chicago City Railway merged to form Calumet & South Chicago Railway. Prior to the formation of CTA, Chicago Railways was the only company operating trolleybuses.


1 Bronzeville/Union Station
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

4/15/23 - introduced as bus route 1 Drexel-Hyde Park, operating to 56th St./Hyde Park
9/10/23 - extended south to 67th St./Stony Island
8/9/25 - extended south to 76th St./South Shore Drive
12/12/26 - extended south to 83rd St./South Shore Drive
9/13/81 - combined with route 38 Indiana, forming route 1 Indiana-Hyde Park
1/24/82 - segment south of 63rd St. transferred to route 27 South Deering
8/31/2003 - segment east of Drexel Square transferred to route 15 Jeffery Local
12/16/2012 - discontinued south of 35th St., renamed route 1 Bronzeville/Union Station

Originally operated south of downtown via South Park Ave. (now King Drive), Oakwood Blvd., Drexel Blvd., and Hyde Park Blvd. to 56th St., near Museum of Science and Industry. Later extended south to 83rd St./South Shore Drive. Route renamed Indiana-Hyde Park effective 9/13/81, when route was changed to present form north of 35th St., replacing 38 Indiana route. Route had continued south to 51st St. and east to Hyde Park until 12/16/2012.

Sunday service discontinued 9/17/61
Sunday service restored 9/9/72, replacing discontinued route 5 Jeffery Local
Weekend service discontinued 12/28/97
Midday service discontinued 8/31/2003

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (4/15/23-4/24/83)
77th St. (4/24/83-present)


2 Hyde Park Local
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

5/6/23 - introduced as bus route
9/9/73 - discontinued

Route operated between downtown and 57th St. via South Park Ave. (now King Drive) and Hyde Park Blvd.

Operated rush hours only

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (5/6/23-5/24/53)
52nd St./77th St. (5/24/53-9/9/73)


2 Hyde Park Express
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

6/25/51 - introduced as bus route

Hyde Park service originally included both a local route and an express route, with route number 2. Only express route remains.

Operated rush hours only

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (6/25/51-4/24/83)
77th St. (4/24/83-8/31/2003)
103rd St./77th St. (8/31/2003-3/23/2008)
77th St. (3/23/2008-present)


3 King Drive
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

12/19/23 - introduced as bus route 3 South Park
1968 - South Park Ave. renamed Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive

South end of route was 81st St. until 6/20/65, with South Suburban Safeway Lines providing only service prior to then.

Owl service introduced 1950's
Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Certain rush hour trips limited stops 3/28/27-11/30/75
Certain rush hour trips limited stops 3/28/93-2/7/2010

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (12/19/23-5/24/53)
77th St. (5/24/53-present)


4 Cottage Grove
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (north of 71st St.)
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway (south of 71st St.)

1859 - horse car service introduced from downtown to 35th St.
1863 - extended south to 39th St.
1869 - extended south to 55th St., and east via 55th St. to Lake Park Ave.
1874 - horse car route south of 39th St. converted to steam dummy
1882 - segment between downtown and 39th St. converted to cable car
1887 - steam dummy segment south of 39th St. converted to cable car
1888 - cable car service extended south of 55th St. on Cottage Grove to 67th St.
1890 - cable car service extended south to 71st St.
1892 - electric streetcar service introduced south of 71st St. to 115th/Michigan
10/21/06 - cable car segments from downtown to 71st St. converted to electric streetcar
2/1/14 - Through Route streetcar introduced between downtown and 119th/Morgan
8/12/18 - Through Route revised to operate to 115th/Cottage Grove.
6/19/55 - streetcar route converted to buses
9/28/69 - segment south of 95th St. transferred to route 4A Pullman
9/4/2016 - extended south to 115th/Cottage Grove, in part duplicating route 115

Was Chicago's first horse car route, when Cottage Grove was a usable street between Cermak and 35th St. Service north of 35th St. shifted to streets west of Cottage Grove with conversion to buses. In 1892, "West Pullman" streetcar route was introduced south of 71st St. via Cottage Grove, 95th St., and Michigan Ave. south. to 115th St., over what now is route 119. Effective 2/1/14, Through Route formed by combining route from downtown with West Pullman route, revised 8/12/18 to operate via Cottage Grove south of 95th St. With opening of Dan Ryan rapid transit line, cut back to 95th St., with new route 4A (later 104, later part of 111, now part of 115) serving points south and feeding into 95th/Dan Ryan terminal.

Owl service

Certain rush hour trips limited stops 8/31/2003-2/7/2010

Car House: Burnside/Cottage Grove (until 9/12/49)
Cottage Grove/77th St. (9/12/49-7/1/51)
Cottage Grove (7/1/51-6/19/55)
Bus Garage: 77th St.


5 Jeffery Local
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

12/15/46 - introduced as bus route 4 Jeffery
10/1/52 - renumbered route 5 after CTA takeover of CMC
9/9/72 - discontinued

Operated between downtown and 103rd/Torrence, via local boulevards south of downtown. With local service discontinued north of 63rd St., all Jeffery service subsequently became part of the express route.

Bus Garage: 52nd St.


5 South Shore Night Bus
Bus route introduced by CTA

2/2/92 - introduced as bus route

Replaces night service over portions of Routes 27, 67, 95W.

Owl service

Bus Garage: 103rd St.


6 Van Buren
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways

1870 - horse car service introduced from downtown to Ogden
1872 - extended west to Hoyne
1878 - extended west to Western Ave.
1886 - extended west to Kedzie
1896 - route converted to electric streetcar
10/11/37 - through routed with Division route, connected primarily via State St.
2/4/51 - through route discontinued with conversion of Division route to buses
8/12/51 - streetcar route converted to buses
4/8/56 - route combined into ex-CMC route 126 Jackson, with creation of one way streets.

Operated between downtown and Kedzie Ave.

Owl service discontinued 4/8/56

Car House: Kedzie
Bus Garage: North Ave. (8/12/51-9/5/54)
Kedzie (9/5/54-4/8/56)


6 Garfield
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

7/22/23 - CMC bus route 6 introduced on Garfield Blvd. between Michigan Ave. and Loomis
9/2/23 - CMC bus route 6 extended west to Western Ave.
5/14/38 - CMC bus route 6 extended west to Homan
7/15/48 - CMC bus route 6 extended west to Cicero Ave.
5/18/58 - creation of one way streets results in route duplicating route 38 Indiana
9/28/69 - route 6 discontinued from downtown, replaced with route 55 on Garfield

West of Cottage Grove Ave. and Washington Park, 55th St. is actually designated Garfield Blvd., originally served by CMC bus route 6 Garfield, operating from downtown via Michigan Ave. With the creation of one way streets, northbound service rerouted to Indiana Ave. Similarly, route 38 Indiana rerouted southbound via Michigan Ave.

Certain #6 rush hour trips limited stops 3/28/27-9/28/69
Certain #6 rush hour trips via Dan Ryan Expressway 2/11/63-9/28/69

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (7/2/23-9/5/54)
69th St. (9/5/54-9/28/69)


6 Jackson Park Express
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

12/16/46 - introduced as bus route 4 Jeffery Express
10/1/52 - renumbered route 5 Jeffery Express after CTA takeover of CMC
10/13/75 - express service route renumbered 6
1/24/82 - local route also renumbered 6
6/25/2000 - local service replaced with express service at all times of operation
8/31/2003 - redesignated route 6 Jackson Park Express, serving South Shore Drive

Route would operate via Jeffery Blvd. south of 67th St. With original local service discontinued north of 63rd St., Jeffery Local route redefined as a route connecting with south side elevated line at 63rd St., primarily during periods when express route was not scheduled to operate to and from downtown. Effective 8/31/2003, route revised south of 67th St. to serve South Shore Drive instead, with route 14 assuming all express service via Jeffery Blvd.

Originally rush hours only/Saturday AM rush
Saturday service discontinued 9/9/73
Midday service introduced 12/17/73
Saturday service introduced 4/5/80
Sunday service introduced 11/30/86

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (12/16/46-4/24/83)
77th St. (4/24/83-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-8/31/2003)
77th St. (8/31/2003-2/7/2010)
103rd St. (2/7/2010-present)


7 Harrison
Horse car route introduced by Chicago Passenger Railway
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (east of Cicero)
Streetcar route introduced by Suburban Railroad (west of Cicero)

1885 - horse car service introduced from downtown to Western Ave.
1895 - Suburban RR introduces electric streetcar service west of Cicero Ave.
1896 - route from downtown converted to electric streetcar
1909 - route from downtown extended west to Pulaski
1912 - route from downtown extended west to Cicero Ave.
12/21/12 - Suburban RR discontinues service west of Cicero Ave.
1913 - Chicago Railways acquires Suburban RR trackage within city of Chicago
11/13/14 - route from downtown extended west of Cicero Ave. to Central Ave.
2/29/48 - streetcar route converted to buses

Suburban Railroad trackage outside the Chicago city limits went to Chicago & West Towns Railways.

Weekend and owl service discontinued 9/13/81
Weekend service restored 10/14/84
Weekend service discontinued 10/5/97

Car House: Kedzie
Bus Garage: North Ave. (2/29/48-9/5/54)
Kedzie (9/5/54-9/2/79)
Lawndale (9/2/79-6/29/84)
Kedzie (6/29/84-present)


7A Harrison-Adams
Horse car route introduced by Chicago Passenger Railway
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways

1885 - horse car service introduced from downtown to Western Ave.
1896 - route converted to electric streetcar
2/29/48 - streetcar route converted to buses
9/9/73 - discontinued

Operated via Adams between downtown and Racine Ave.

Midday service discontinued 11/30/64

Car House: Kedzie
Bus Garage: North Ave. (2/29/48-9/5/54)
Kedzie (9/5/54-9/9/73)


8 Halsted
Horse car route introduced by North Chicago City Railway (north of N Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (north of N Chicago River)
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (between N and S Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (between N and S Chicago River)
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (south of S Chicago River)

1863 - horse car service introduced from Harrison to Lake St.
1864 - extended north to Milwaukee Ave.
1876 - extended south to Chicago River
1877 - horse car service introduced south of Chicago River to 39th St.
1883 - extended south to 47th St.
1884 - extended south to 63rd St.
1886 - extended north to Clark/Barry
1887 - extended south to 69th St.
1889 - extended north to Broadway/Waveland
1893 - segment between Chicago River and Van Buren converted to cable car
1894 - segments Clark to Broadway, 40th St. to 69th St., converted to electric streetcar
1895 - segments Chicago River to 39th St., Kingsbury to Clark, converted to electric streetcar
1896 - segments 18th St. to Kingsbury, 39th St. to 40th St. converted to electric streetcar
1896 - electric streetcar service extended south 69th St. to 79th St.
1897 - much of south side service routed into downtown, as route 42 Halsted-Downtown
1906 - cable car segment converted to electric streetcar
12/13/11 - first Through Route streetcar introduced, serving 63rd St. at south end
7/16/12 - original Through Route discontinued
1912 - some service extended south of 79th St. over what now is route 112
6/3/25 - service introduced between downtown and north side via Clark
11/20/47 - service discontinued between downtown and north side
12/4/49 - segment south of 79th St. transferred to route 111A Vincennes-111th
11/25/51 - buses substituted on weekends
5/29/54 - streetcar route converted to buses

Various Through Route combinations existed throughout the early history of this route. Original Through Route operated between Grace/Halsted and 63rd/Stony Island via Halsted and 63rd St. Beginning in 1912, some Halsted service, mainly route 42 Halsted-Downtown service, began operating south of 79th St. via Vincennes and 111th St. to Sacramento, over what now is the 112 route. While for most of through service continuing north on Halsted, the south terminal remained 79th St. Effective 5/24/31, the through Halsted service generally turned around at 111th/Sacramento, with the downtown service generally turning at 79th St. Through service south of 79th St. discontinued 12/4/49, when segment south of 79th St. was converted to buses. Segment eventually evolved into today's 112 route, feeding into the 95th/Dan Ryan terminal.

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Car House: Limits/77th St.
Bus Garages: Limits/77th St. (11/25/51-4/24/83)
Limits/69th St. (4/24/83-7/3/94)
69th St. (7/3/94-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-3/23/2008)
Kedzie (3/23/2008-2/7/2010)
Kedzie/74th St. (2/7/2010-12/16/2012)
77th St. (12/16/2012-present)


8A South Halsted
Bus route introduced by Calumet & South Chicago Railway

10/17/38 - introduced as bus route 42B South Halsted
2/15/76 - renumbered route 8A

Bus Garage: 77th St. (10/17/38-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/55-6/26/88)
77th St. (6/26/88-present)


9 Ashland
Horse car route introduced by North Chicago City Railway (north of N Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (north of N Chicago River)
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (N Chicago River to Cermak)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (N Chicago River to Cermak)
Streetcar route introduced by Southern Street Railway (Cermak to Archer)
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (south of Archer)

1884 - horse car service introduced south of Archer to 39th St., operating to and from downtown
1886 - horse car service introduced from Belmont to Irving Park, operating to and from downtown
1887 - extended south to 55th St.
1889 - north side downtown service discontinued
1889 - extended south to 69th St.
1892 - first crosstown horse car service introduced, between Cermak and Roosevelt
1893 - crosstown service extended north from Roosevelt to Cortland
1895 - segments Belmont to Irving Park, Archer to 69th St., converted to electric streetcar
1896 - segment Cermak to Cortland converted to electric streetcar
1896 - electric streetcar service extended south Cermak to Archer
9/4/08 - Through Route streetcar introduced between Cortland and 69th St.
10/16/12 - extended north of Cortland via Southport to Irving Park
10/12/13 - extended south to 74th St.
2/18/15 - extended south to 79th St.
3/20/15 - extended south on Ashland from Belmont to Fullerton
12/31/15 - extended south to 87th St.
7/6/26 - extended south to 95th St.
8/21/36 - route completed between Cortland and Fullerton via Ashland, Southport becomes branch
8/31/47 - Southport segment converted to buses, transferred to route 46 Southport
5/11/52 - buses substituted on weekends
2/13/54 - streetcar route converted to buses
2/10/64 - rush hour service extended south via Beverly to 103rd St.

Original route operated to and from downtown via Archer, eventually known as route 45 Ashland-Downtown. Segment between Cermak and Archer actually introduced by Chicago General Railway Co., acquired by Southern Street Railway Co. in 1905. Service between Belmont/Lincoln/Ashland and Irving Park Rd. was originally an extension of the Lincoln route, to and from downtown. As of 10/16/12, service still did not exist on Ashland between Cortland and Belmont/Lincoln/Ashland. On that date, a through route was formed operating north to Irving Park Rd., but via Southport north of Cortland. North side service subsequently gradually extended south of Belmont/Lincoln/Ashland via Ashland. Effective 8/21/36, with completion of Ashland streetcar route, streetcars operated through, alternating via either Ashland or Southport north of Cortland. And effective 8/31/47, with conversion of Southport segment to buses, all streetcars began operating via Ashland.

Owl service

Certain weekday trips limited stops 6/18/2006-2/7/2010, 12/21/2015-present

Car House: Lincoln/Noble/69th St. (until 8/31/47)
Lincoln/69th St. (8/31/47-3/11/51)
Limits/69th St. (3/11/51-2/14/54)
Bus Garages: Limits/77th St. (5/11/52-2/14/54)
Limits/69th St. (2/14/54-9/7/57)
Kedzie/69th St. (9/7/57-2/9/64)
Limits/69th St. (2/9/64-7/3/94)
69th St. (7/3/94-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-present)