SUBURBAN TRANSIT ROUTES

ROUTES 204-291

NORTHWEST/NORTH SHORE DIVISIONS

Most of these routes had been operated by the United Motor Coach Co. which was taken over by the publicly owned Nortran (North Suburban Mass Transit District) in 1975. Although in 1974, Nortran began subsidizing a few "emergency" bus routes operated by United Motor Coach Co., after the Glenview Bus Co. ceased operations. A few routes were acquired by United Motor Coach Co. from American Coach Co. in 1959. United Motor Coach was formed in 1927 as a consolidation of White Line Motor Bus Co., Suburban Auto Coach Co., and Federal Transportation Co. The American Coach Co. began operations in 1937, with routes from Waukegan to Fox Lake and Antioch, and in 1938 acquired what now is the Pace #210 route, before expanding in the Skokie area during the 1940's. Nortran was dissolved in 1991, with Pace assuming direct operation of what is now known as the Northwest Division, still using the former United Motor Coach Co. garage in Des Plaines. In 1995, Pace opened the North Shore Division garage in Evanston, and eventually transferred some of the Northwest Division routes to there. Unless noted, all routes on this page are operated by the Northwest Division.

In the mid 1970's, RTA assigned universal numbers to all suburban bus routes, usually adding 200 to the United Motor Coach and Nortran route numbers. Included are discontinued routes which lasted into the RTA and Pace era.


204 - Dodge - effective 10/11/97, Pace began operating this route on Saturdays, after CTA cut Saturday service from its budget. But effective 6/22/2003, CTA replaced its route #204 with an extension of its #93 California route from Chicago, including Saturdays. Pace retained the route until its 3/20/2005 major restructuring of north suburban routes, when the route was discontinued. By then, with the route only operating once a week, it became too easy for the public to forget that the route even existed. Operated by North Shore Division.

205-207 - Woodfield Shuttle - three lunchtime shoppers' shuttle routes connecting Woodfield Mall with various office buildings. Routes #206 and #207 were introduced 10/1/89, and route #205 was introduced 11/1/92. Operated under contract by Laidlaw/Schaumburg, in 2007 to First Transit. Routes were discontinued in 2009.

208 - Church St.-Golf Rd. - evolved from Evanston Bus Co. route #8. Introduced in 1974 as "Emergency Route" #8, a short turn variation of Emergency Routes #2 and #3 operating between Evanston and Old Orchard Shopping Center, using Church St. in both Evanston and Skokie. Extended west to Golf Mill Mall in 1975 and given its own identity as route #208. Effective 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes, route extended west via Des Plaines to Woodfield Mall via Golf Rd., replacing segments of routes #209 and #220.

209 - Busse Hwy. - introduced 6/19/77 as a renumbering and extension of former United Motor Coach route #61, between Jefferson Park and Woodfield Mall, using Golf Rd. west of Des Plaines. Effective 2/27/83, rerouted to Harlem Ave. CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension. After route #606 was introduced in 1986, that route eventually emerged as the preferred route connecting Chicago and the CTA rapid transit with Woodfield Mall. And it became practical effective 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes, to transfer the west segment of route #209 to route #208. Thus enabling through service between Woodfield Mall and Evanston.

210 - Lincoln - was United Motor Coach route #10, previously an American Coach Co. route, and originally a Niles Center Bus Co. route. Route introduced in 1921 between Western Ave. Ravenswood (CTA Brown Line) rapid transit station and Morton Grove via Lincoln Ave. Service discontinued in 1931, revived in the late 1930's by Suburban Transit System, and sold in 1938 to American Coach Co., becoming their route #3. In 1942 extended between downtown Chicago and Antioch, primarily via Lake Shore Drive, Irving Park Rd. and, Western Ave. south of the CTA station, and via Milwaukee Ave. to the north. In 1948, Glenview became north end of route, with Antioch service transferred to new route #13, which was an extended version of new route #11, which became Pace route #211. Glenview Naval Air Station was the north end of the line, later Glenbrook Hospital. Was the last former United Motor Coach route to operate into downtown Chicago. Although during the 1990's, service was discontinued south of Western Ave. CTA station on the Brown (Ravenswood) Line, except for a few rush hour trips. Also during the 1990's, midday service began operating via Lincolnwood Town Center Mall. Effective 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes, downtown service discontinued, and rush hour service revised to serve Berwyn Ave. CTA station on the Red Line. Midday service would terminate at Lincolnwood Town Center Mall. Also beginning 3/20/2005, runs were gradually transferred to Pace North Shore Division, where all runs are now based. Effective 2/7/2010, rush hour service to Berwyn Ave. CTA station discontinued, with all service terminating at Lincolnwood Town Center Mall.

211 - Chicago-Wheeling - was United Motor Coach route #11, originally an American Coach Co. route. Route introduced in 1948 between downtown Chicago and Wheeling, exiting downtown via same routing as #10/Pace #210 route as far north as Devon Ave./Lincoln Ave., and primarily via Devon Ave., Caldwell Ave., Harlem Ave., Central St., and Milwaukee Ave. to Dundee Rd. in Wheeling. Service on Milwaukee Ave. had been part of route #10 since 1942, continuing north to Antioch. The first bus route from Chicago to Antioch was introduced in 1920 by Arrow Motor Line, but that route apparently did not last long. The American Coach Co. Antioch service became part of route #13, an extended variation of route #11. Downtown service eliminated 8/25/86, and all remaining service discontinued 3/31/89.

212 - Evanston-Glenview-Northbrook - basically had been Glenview Bus Company route #2, originating at Davis St. station in Evanston. Effective 3/18/74 after the Glenview Bus Co. ceased operations, United Motor Coach Co. introduced "Emergency Route" #2 to replace this route, except operating via Church St. within Evanston, and via Golf Road between Davis St. as far west as Old Orchard Shopping center. This segment in part replacing former Evanston Bus Co. route #8, which had been discontinued the previous year. Discontinued 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes, with segment west of Old Orchard transferred to route #422. Segment east of Old Orchard not replaced, as redundant to route #208 and recently expanded CTA route #205.

213 - Green Bay Road - introduced by Nortran in 1974 as route #13, replacing Evanston Bus Company route #13. That Evanston Bus Company route had operated north only to Glencoe, as service in Highland Park was already provided by a local bus system until the late 1960's. Nortran route originally operated north to Fort Sheridan, effective 3/6/77 was operating west of Highland Park train station to Deerfield train station. Present routing adopted effective 8/25/86, with two branches. Route #471 now operates between the Highland Park and Deerfield train stations. Northbrook Court service was designated route #214 until 4/24/95. Operated by North Shore Division.

214 - Green Bay Road - from 8/24/86 to 4/24/95 was route number of Green Bay Road service to Northbrook Court, redesignated #213. From 8/88 to 6/15/92, included a rush hour extension to Wilmot Ave., later a rush hour extension of route #471, subsequently replaced with the "Shuttle Bug" routes.

215 - Crawford-Howard - introduced by United Motor Coach 11/73 as route #15, replacing Evanston Bus Company route #10, and originally subsidized by village of Skokie. Operated by North Shore Division.

216 - Skokie Local - introduced by United Motor Coach 11/73 as route #16, replacing portions of Evanston Bus Company routes #9 and #12, originally subsidized by village of Skokie. Formed loop via Oakton St., Gross Point Ave., Church St., and St. Louis Ave., and revised in 1983 to serve Main St. Discontinued 8/25/86.

220 - Glenview-Des Plaines-O'Hare - was United Motor Coach route #20, operated primarily via Lee St., Touhy Ave., and Mannheim Rd. Effective 11/30/75 extended from Des Plaines to Golf Mill Mall and Glenview, over what had been a segment of Glenview Bus Co. route #3, later United Motor Coach/Nortran "Emergency Route" #3. Discontinued 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes. With segment between O'Hare and Des Plaines transferred to route #250, segment between Des Plaines and Golf Mill transferred to route #208, and segment between Golf Mill and Glenview not replaced.

221 - Wolf Road - introduced in 1923 by Suburban Auto Coach Co. from Jefferson Park to Des Plaines via Higgins Rd. and River Rd., was United Motor Coach route #21. A route had existed from Jefferson Park to Dundee and Carpentersville, apparently discontinued west of Elk Grove Village by 1940's. Effective 2/27/83, route modified to serve Rosemont/River Road CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension, and extended north on Wolf Rd. Present Pace route has little resemblance to original route, with service on Higgins Rd. west of River Rd. now provided by Pace route #223.

222 - Rosemont Industrial - introduced 2/27/83, upon opening of rapid transit station at Rosemont/River Road. Discontinued 12/1/89 as redundant to other routes.

223 - Elk Grove-Rosemont - introduced 4/10/78 as one of the first reverse commute routes, connecting the city with the industrial and warehouse areas of Elk Grove Village.

225 - Central-Howard - introduced 12/3/79, connecting the Jefferson Park CTA station with the Howard St. industrial area in Niles and Morton Grove.

226 - Oakton Street - introduced by Nortran 11/30/75 as route #26. West of Lincoln Ave., route stayed on Oakton St. through Des Plaines until 12/6/2004, when revised to operate via Des Plaines train station, the first step in a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes.

227 - Glenview-West Glenview - introduced 6/9/80, discontinued 6/12/81.

228 - Harlem Ave. - introduced 2/27/83, upon opening of rapid transit station at Harlem Ave., operating as far north as Glenview Rd. Discontinued 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes, combined into route #423.

230 - South Des Plaines - was United Motor Coach route #30, introduced in 1929 by Des Plaines Motor Coach Line, which in 1930 was acquired by United Motor Coach. Operated in a loop south of Des Plaines train station to Oakton St. and Orchard St. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, restored to all day service by Nortran 11/30/75, and eventually became Pace route #230. Extended south to Rosemont/River Road CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension on 2/27/83.

231 - Cumberland-Des Plaines - was United Motor Coach route #31, operating in a loop northwest of Des Plaines train station to Cumberland Circle, near Golf Rd. and Wolf Rd. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, restored to all day service by Nortran 11/30/75, and replaced 9/4/77 by what are now Pace routes #209 and #234.

232 - West Des Plaines - was United Motor Coach route #32, introduced in 1929 by Des Plaines Motor Coach Line, which in 1930 was acquired by United Motor Coach. Initially operated in a loop west of Des Plaines train station to 4th Ave. and Woodlawn Ave. Eventually evolved to a loop to Wolf Rd. and Oakton St. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, restored to all day service by Nortran 11/30/75. And effective 8/29/88, cut back again to rush hours and combined with Pace route #230.

233 - Southwest Des Plaines - introduced by Nortran 11/30/75 as route #33, operated in a loop between Des Plaines train station and Touhy Ave./Mt. Prospect Ave. Discontinued 6/22/90 as redundant to extended route 221 on Wolf Rd.

234 - Wheeling-Des Plaines - introduced 12/6/76.

237 - Schaumburg-Soldier Field Express - introduced in late 1990's, special route operating for Chicago Bears games.

240 - Dee Road - introduced by Nortran 11/30/75 as route #40, originally operated between Park Ridge train station and Golf Mill shopping center. Combined with portion of former United Motor Coach route #42 in 1976, and extended south to the Cumberland CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension on 2/27/83.

241 - Greenwood-Talcott - introduced by Nortran 11/30/75 as route #41, originally operated between Park Ridge train station and Golf Mill shopping center. Combined with portion of former United Motor Coach route #42 in 1976, and extended south to the Cumberland CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension on 2/27/83.

242 - Northeast Deerfield - rush hour feeder from train station existed 1/28/80 to 8/21/81.

243 - Northwest Deerfield - rush hour feeder from train station existed 1/28/80 to 6/12/81.

244 - Southwest Deerfield - introduced by Nortran 9/07/76, primarily operating during rush hours between Deerfield train station and Lake Cook Rd./Wilmot Ave. Effective 3/9/87, combined into route #214. Effective 6/15/92, became rush hour extension of route #471.

250 - Dempster St. - was United Motor Coach route #50, operating between Des Plaines train station and Davis St. in downtown Evanston. Route introduced 6/15/41, and until 1969 was part of a route continuing west of Des Plaines to Elgin via Barrington and Dundee. Service between Des Plaines and Barrington was also part of route #60, while service between Barrington and Elgin was introduced in 1932 by Dundee Coach Line. Now is Pace route #250. Effective 3/20/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes, route extended south from Des Plaines to O'Hare Airport, replacing segment of route #220.

251 - Glenview-Sunset Ridge - short lived reverse feeder route existed 12/5/77 to 12/3/79.

252 - Landwehr/Pfingsten - short lived reverse feeder route existed 12/5/77 to 6/6/80.

253 - Walters/Sanders - mid day circulator existed 12/5/77 to 6/12/81.

254 - North Cicero-Skokie Blvd. - introduced 2/8/92 on Saturdays, after CTA discontinued Saturday service on its #54A route. Service continued to operate all day Saturdays, even after CTA discontinued weekday midday #54A service effective 12/28/97. Pace retained the route until its 3/20/2005 major restructuring of north suburban routes, when the route was discontinued. By then, with the route only operating once a week, it became too easy for the public to forget that the route even existed. Operated by North Shore Division.

270 - Milwaukee Ave. - was United Motor Coach route #70, probably introduced shortly after 1960 opening of Golf Mill shopping center. And initially operating from Milwaukee Ave. and Chicago city limits to Golf Mill. In 1922, a route had been introduced from Jefferson Park northwest via Milwaukee Ave., evolving into United Motor Coach route #62, operating via Dempster St. from Milwaukee Ave. to Des Plaines. Route #62 was phased out during late 1970's, and around that time route #270 was extended south to Jefferson Park CTA station in coordination with CTA route #56A. Though effective 2/7/2010, CTA reduced service on route #56A, breaking the coordination of service.

272 - Milwaukee Avenue North - introduced 3/17/2003, operated by Pace North Division.

282 - Schaumburg-Wrigley Field Express - introduced in late 1990's, special route operating for Chicago Cubs games.

284 - Schaumburg-Great America Express - introduced in late 1990's, special route operating during summer, serving Six Flags Great America theme park.

285-287 - United Center Express - three express routes introduced 10/11/2014 from various suburban park and ride transit centers, for Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Bulls games. Route #285 from Schaumburg, route #286 from Buffalo Grove, and route #287 from Bolingbrook and Burr Ridge.

288 - Schaumburg-Auto Show Express - introduced in late 1990's, special route operating in February for annual auto show at McCormick Place, discontinued in 2008. There is a certain irony regarding using public transportation, to what basically is a celebration of America's love affair with the automobile.

290 - Touhy Ave. - was United Motor Coach route #90, operating between Howard St. CTA terminal and Des Plaines train station. The first segment of the present route was introduced in 1931 from Milwaukee Ave. to Howard St. The first bus service on Touhy Ave. was introduced in 1924 by White Line Motor Bus Co. west of Park Ridge to River Road. This segment was eventually rush hour only, and was eliminated in 1986. Service was extended south of Park Ridge to the Cumberland CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension on 2/27/83.

291 - Touhy Ave. - was United Motor Coach route #91, operating between Howard St. CTA terminal and Des Plaines train station. Variation of route #90/#290, operating westbound into Des Plaines via Touhy, Harlem, Oakton, Greenwood, Dempster. Discontinued 12/4/87.


DISCONTINUED UNITED MOTOR COACH CO. ROUTES

These routes did not last into the Nortran or RTA or Pace era.


1 - Jefferson Park-Des Plaines - operated primarily via Northwest Highway, during rush hours only. All day service was provided by route #61, operating into downtown Chicago. In 1975, redesignated by Nortran as route #61, with all day service terminating at Jefferson Park CTA station and rush hour only service into downtown Chicago.

12 - Evanston-Chicago (Loop) - originally an American Coach Co. route, operated via Simpson, Crawford, Lincoln, and into Chicago via #210 routing. Discontinued in 1969.

13 - Antioch-Chicago (Loop) - originally an American Coach Co. route, operating on Milwaukee Ave. north of Glenview. Service on Milwaukee Ave. introduced in 1942 as part of route #10, which became Pace route #210. In 1948 became an extension of new route #11, which became Pace route #211. Eventually operated summers only, discontinued in 1969.

14 - Des Plaines-Wheeling - operated during rush hours via River Rd. and Milwaukee Ave, eliminated by Nortran in 1975.

22 - Elk Grove-Des Plaines - made one afternoon trip from Arlington Heights Rd./Higgins Rd. in Elk Grove Village to Des Plaines train station, via Higgins Rd., Elmhurst Rd., and Thacker Ave. Service discontinued by Nortran in 1975.

23 - Arlington Heights-Rolling Meadows - acquired from Harvel Motor Coach Co. in early 1960's, discontinued in 1969.

24 - Mt. Prospect-Randhurst-Wheeling - acquired from Harvel Motor Coach Co. in early 1960's, discontinued in 1969.

40 - Courtland - introduced in 1928, operated south of Park Ridge train station, discontinued in 1969.

41 - Greenwood - introduced in 1941, operated south of Park Ridge train station, discontinued in 1969.

42 - Park Ridge Local - operated during rush hours in a loop south of Park Ridge train station. Reduced during 1960's to rush hours only, restored to all day service by Nortran in 1975. And service replaced in 1976 with extensions of RTA/Nortran routes #240 and #241, operating north to Golf Mill shopping center in Niles. Routes #240 and #241 were both extended south to the Cumberland CTA station upon opening of that rapid transit extension on February 27, 1983.

60 - Chicago-Harvard - extended variation of route #61, originally introduced in 1925 from Des Plaines to Arlington Heights by Suburban Auto Coach Co., primarily via US Hwy. 14/Northwest Hwy. Extended from Arlington Heights to Barrington in 1932. And in 1945 extended to operate between Chicago and Harvard. Service from Barrington to Harvard discontinued in 1969, with rush hour only service remaining from Des Plaines to Barrington. Remaining service discontinued in 1975.

61 - Chicago-Des Plaines (via Park Ridge) - introduced in 1922 by White Line Motor Bus Co. from Jefferson Park to Park Ridge via Northwest Hwy., extended in 1925 to Des Plaines. By the 1940's, United Motor Coach was operating from downtown Chicago to Des Plaines via Lake Shore Drive, Foster Ave., and Northwest Highway. In 1975, Jefferson Park became the Chicago terminal for most service, with downtown Chicago service operating rush hours only. Effective 6/19/77, most service replaced with new route #209 serving Woodfield Mall. Remaining downtown service discontinued 6/10/79.

62 - Chicago-Des Plaines (via Niles) - introduced in 1922 by White Line Motor Bus Co. from Jefferson Park to Park Ridge, via Milwaukee Ave. In 1925, Federal Transportation Co. introduced a route from Jefferson Park to Des Plaines via Milwaukee Ave., Ballard Rd., Rand Rd., and River Rd. Route eventually expanded to extend from downtown Chicago to Des Plaines via Lake Shore Drive, Foster Ave., Milwaukee Ave., and Dempster St. In 1975, reduced to rush hours only by Nortran, and discontinued 8/26/78 as redundant to other routes.

63 - O'Hare-Chicago (Loop) - operated during rush hours between downtown Chicago and Mannheim Rd./Higgins Rd. Discontinued by Nortran in 1976.

71 - Des Plaines-Golf Mill-Glenview - discontinued in 1969.

72 - Wheeling-Golf Mill - operated during rush hours, discontinued in 1969.

73 - Old Orchard-Des Plaines - operated during rush hours primarily via Dempster St., eliminated by Nortran in 1975 as redundant to route #50 and CTA route #97.

80 - Elk Grove-Chicago (Loop) - extension of route #63, operated during rush hours between downtown Chicago and Arlington Heights Rd./Higgins Rd. in Elk Grove Village. Extension route discontinued in 1975.

Also in 1942, United Motor Coach introduced service south of Des Plaines to the Douglas Aircraft plant, located southwest of the intersection of Higgins Rd. and Mannheim Rd., northeast of the present O'Hare Airport. Route was via Lee St. and Higgins Rd., with an alternate route from Higgins via Oakton St. and Mannheim Rd.


Click for Early 1970's Bus Map

(The map image may take a while to download, with a dial-up connection.)

Click for American Coach Co. Bus Map

(Map shows routes as of around 1950, in 1959 certain American Coach Co. routes were acquired by United Motor Coach.)