CHICAGO BUS AND STREETCAR ROUTES

ROUTES 100-119

Unless noted, all extension or replacement bus routes were operated by the same companies which had introduced the streetcar routes. In 1908, Calumet Electric Street Railway and South Chicago City Railway merged to form Calumet & South Chicago Railway. Prior to the formation of CTA, Chicago Railways was the only company operating trolleybuses.


100 Jeffery Manor Express
Horse car/streetcar route introduced by South Chicago City Railway

1892 - horse car service introduced on 106th St. from Torrence almost to State Line
1894 - service converted to electric streetcar, combined with South Deering route
12/30/09 - route separated from South Deering route
8/13/41 - streetcar route converted to buses, numbered route 106
10/13/41 - route 106 combined into route 103 103rd-106th
9/13/70 - route 103 split again into routes 103 and 106, serving 95th/Dan Ryan terminal
9/13/71 - 100 Jeffery Manor Express introduced as bus route
12/28/97 - route 100 extended east on 106th St., replacing segment of route 106

Route 100 Jeffery Manor Express originally operated between 95th/Dan Ryan and 100th/Yates, later extended east, replacing segment of route 106.

Operated rush hours only
Also operated midday 6/29/86-12/28/97

Bus Garage: Beverly (9/13/71-4/3/77)
77th St. (4/3/77-4/24/83)
Beverly (4/24/83-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


103 West 103rd
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway (east of Vincennes)
Bus route introduced by Chicago City Railway (west of Vincennes)

1896 - electric streetcar service introduced between Michigan Ave. and Racine Ave.
1911 - extended west to Vincennes
5/4/30 - extension bus route 103A introduced between Vincennes and Western Ave.
10/13/41 - streetcar route converted to buses, combined with routes 103A and 106
6/15/42 - extended west to Pulaski
9/28/69 - a new route 103A introduced, temporarily serves 95th/Dan Ryan terminal
9/13/70 - route 103 split again into routes 103 and 106, serving 95th/Dan Ryan terminal

Original extension bus route 103A was operated by Chicago City Railway. Upon opening of the Dan Ryan rapid transit line, a new route 103A is temporarily operated serving new 95th/Dan Ryan terminal from the west. A year later, route 103 is split at Michigan Ave. into present routes 103 and 106, with all trips serving 95th St.

Owl service discontinued 6/26/88

Car House: Burnside
Bus Garage: 77th St. (5/4/30-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


104 Pullman
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway

1893 - electric streetcar service introduced on Cottage Grove from 104th to 115th
7/4/10 - extended north to 95th St., combined with 93rd-95th route
8/12/18 - segment becomes part of Through Route 4 to and from downtown
6/19/55 - streetcar route converted to buses
9/28/69 - Cottage Grove segment split off from route 4 as separate route 4A Pullman
2/15/76 - route 4A renumbered route 104
6/26/88 - routes 104 and 111 combined into route 111

Was basically on Cottage Grove between 95th St. and 115th St. From 1893 to 1/14/10, segment was an extension of Stony Island route. From 7/4/10 to 8/12/18 was an extension of 93rd-95th route. From 8/12/18 to 9/28/69 was part of main Cottage Grove route 4, operating south from downtown. Effective 9/28/69 upon opening of the Dan Ryan rapid transit line, new route 4A was formed as a feeder route, between 95th/Dan Ryan and 115th/Cottage Grove.

Owl service discontinued 2/2/92

Car House: Burnside/Cottage Grove (until 9/12/49)
Cottage Grove/77th St. (9/12/49-7/1/51)
Cottage Grove (7/1/51-6/19/55)
Bus Garage: 77th St. (9/23/45-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)


106 East 103rd
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet & South Chicago Railway

4/18/10 - electric streetcar service introduced between Michigan Ave. and Cottage Grove
10/13/41 - streetcar route converted to buses, combined with routes 103A and 106
9/13/70 - route 103 split again into routes 103 and 106, serving 95th/Dan Ryan terminal
12/28/97 - 106th St. segment transferred to route 100 Jeffery Manor Express

There was never any streetcar service on 103rd St. between Cottage Grove Ave. and Torrence Ave. After conversion to buses, the bus route was extended and combined with the 106th St. route. After 1988 opening of 103rd St. Garage at Stony Island, route 6 Jeffery extended to also operate between garage and Torrence. And effective 12/28/97, route 6 provided the only service over that segment. Effective 8/31/2003, route 6 replaced on Jeffery by route 15 Jeffery Local.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Car House: Burnside
Bus Garage: 77th St. (8/13/41-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


108 Halsted-95th
Bus route introduced by CTA

9/8/85 - introduced as bus route, replacing some route 8A South Halsted service
12/28/97 - service reduced to rush hours only, replaced with increased Pace service

Originally replaced some route 8A service, connecting south Halsted St. with the 95th/Dan Ryan terminal instead of the 79th/Dan Ryan stop, and coordinated with Pace route 352 operating further south on Halsted into the suburbs. Effective 12/28/97, route 108 began operating during rush hours only, while Pace increased route 352 service. During rush hours, Pace route does not carry passengers locally within city.

Owl service introduced 6/26/88
Owl service discontinued 2/2/92
Owl service restored 1993
Owl/midday service discontinued 12/28/97

Bus Garage: Beverly (9/8/85-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


110 Marquette
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co.

10/1/23 - introduced as bus routes 10 Loomis and 11 Marquette
9/12/26 - extended west from California Ave. to Kedzie
9/23/26 - extended west to St. Louis Ave.
12/1/42 - CMC route 11 combined into a restructured CMC route 10
10/1/52 - renumbered route 110 after CTA takeover of CMC
5/26/53 - service discontinued north of 63rd St., extended west to Kostner
10/ 5/97 - discontinued

CMC route 11 originally operated west from Stony Island Ave. to California Ave., via Marquette Rd. And CMC route 10 originally operated between downtown and Marquette Rd./Loomis Blvd. via Garfield and Loomis. Effective 12/1/42, route 11 service on Marquette discontinued east of Loomis Blvd., with service on Marquette west of Loomis replaced by extension of CMC route 10. After the CTA takeover of CMC, service discontinued north of 63rd St., leaving just the service on Marquette, feeding into the Englewood rapid transit line.

Sunday service discontinued 5/24/53
Saturday service discontinued 8/5/73
Midday service discontinued 9/13/81

Bus Garage: 52nd St. (10/1/23-5/24/53)
69th St. (5/24/53-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-10/5/97)


111 111th-King Dr.
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway

1/5/11 - electric streetcar service introduced on 111th St. from Cottage Grove to Michigan Ave.
9/28/11 - extended west to Stewart
5/19/17 - extended west to Sacramento Ave.
7/1/21 - discontinued west of Vincennes
9/23/45 - streetcar route converted to buses
6/16/63 - routes 111 and 115 combined into a single route 111, operating in a loop
6/26/88 - routes 104 and 111 combined into route 111 Pullman-111th-115th
12/16/2012 - becomes route via King Dr. and 111th St.

Route 111 was originally on 111th St., absorbing the 115 route on 115th St. in 1963, and absorbing the 104 route on Cottage Grove in 1988. Service via King Dr. south of 95th St. for many years was operated by South Suburban Safeway Lines, now Pace South Division. With 2012 reconfiguration of CTA routes, Pace service revised to operate via Calumet Expressway between 95th St. and 130th St.

Car House: Burnside
Bus Garage: 77th St. (9/23/45-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


111A Pullman Shuttle
Bus route introduced by CTA

9/11/2013 - introduced as bus route

Route introduced under community pressure, to serve a newly constructed Walmart store. Walmart is notorious for locating its stores where public transportation access is inconvenient.

Bus Garage: 103rd St.


112 Vincennes-111th
Streetcar route introduced by Englewood & Chicago Electric Railway

1896 - battery car service introduced on Vincennes from 79th St. to 87th St.
1897 - extended south and west via Vincennes and 111th St. to Sacramento Ave.
7/1/01 - route converted to electric streetcar
1912 - Chicago City Railway acquires Englewood & Chicago Electric Railway trackage
1/26/23 - shuttle streetcar service introduced on Vincennes from 111th St. to 119th St.
9/11/39 - extension bus route 111A introduced between Sacramento Ave. and Pulaski Rd.
7/22/46 - shuttle streetcar route converted to buses, combined with 119th St. shuttle
12/4/49 - streetcar route converted to buses, extension route combined into main route
6/16/63 - Vincennes-119th shuttle bus route discontinued
12/2/63 - some service operated express into downtown via Dan Ryan Expressway
9/28/69 - express service replaced with feeder service to new 95th/Dan Ryan terminal
9/13/70 - all service revised to serve 95th/Dan Ryan terminal
2/15/76 - renumbered route 112

Service originally introduced by Englewood & Chicago Electric Railway Co., which was a predecessor of what became Chicago & Interurban Traction Co., which operated interurban line to Kankakee. When Chicago & Interurban Traction Co. was formed in 1912, routes within city of Chicago was sold to Chicago City Railway. Beginning in 1912, some Halsted service, mainly route 42 Halsted-Downtown service, began operating south of 79th St. via Vincennes and 111th St. to Sacramento, over what now is the 112 route. While for most of through service continuing north on Halsted, the south terminal remained 79th St. Effective 5/24/31, the through Halsted service generally turned around at 111th/Sacramento, with the downtown service generally turning at 79th St. Through service south of 79th St. discontinued 12/4/49, when segment south of 79th St. was converted to buses. This route on Vincennes was also used by Chicago & Interurban Traction Co. trains to Kankakee, continuing southwest on Vincennes into Blue Island. For a while, a streetcar shuttle operated on Vincennes between 111th St. and city limits at 119th St., replaced by bus route 119, which continued east on 119th St. to Halsted. 119th St. previously had its own streetcar shuttle. And on 12/4/49 when main route south of 79th St. was converted to buses, entire segment south of 79th St. via Vincennes and 111th St. to Pulaski became route 111A., absorbing original extension bus. Halsted St. north of 79th St. remained a separate streetcar route for a few more years. Shortly after the Dan Ryan Expressway opened, some service operated express to and from downtown via the expressway. This continued until the Dan Ryan rapid transit line opened, when some trips began operating into new 95th/Dan Ryan terminal. A year later, with all trips began serving 95th St. And route 22A (now 24), the Wentworth route, was extended south on Vincennes Ave. from 79th St. to 103rd St. This route 24 extension was discontinued 4/26/98.

Owl service discontinued 2/2/92

Certain rush hour trips via Dan Ryan Expressway 2/11/63-9/28/69

Car House: 77th St./Limits
Bus Garage: 77th St. (9/11/39-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


115 Pullman-115th
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway

1893 - electric streetcar service introduced on 115th St. from South Park (King Dr.) to Michigan Ave.
1909 - extended west to Wallace
5/12/10 - extended west to Halsted
9/23/45 - streetcar route converted to buses
1/28/63 - extended west to Vincennes/111th St.
6/16/63 - routes 111 and 115 combined into a single route 111, operating in a loop
6/26/88 - routes 104 and 111 combined into a single route 111
12/16/2012 - segment on 111th St. split off, Cottage Grove and 115th St. become route 115

From 1988 until 2012, route operated from 95th/Dan Ryan terminal to 111th St. and Corliss Ave., primarily via Cottage Grove Ave., 115th St., Vincennes Ave., and 111th St., actually crossing itself at 111th St. and Cottage Grove Ave.

Sunday service discontinued 9/10/61
Sunday service restored 4/11/65

Car House: Burnside
Bus Garage: 77th St. (9/23/45-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)


119 Vincennes-119th
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet & South Chicago Railway

2/23/13 - shuttle streetcar service introduced on 119th St. from Halsted to Vincennes
2/3/46 - shuttle streetcar route converted to buses
7/22/46 - shuttle bus route combined with 42A Vincennes shuttle
6/16/63 - discontinued

Car House: Burnside
Bus Garage: 77th St. (7/22/46-12/4/49)
Beverly (12/4/49-6/16/63)


119 Michigan-119th
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway

1892 - electric streetcar service introduced on Michigan from 95th St. to 115th St.
1893 - extended south to 119th St.
1893 - extended west via 119th St. to Halsted
2/23/13 - shuttle streetcar service introduced on 119th St. from Halsted to Vincennes
2/1/14 - segment becomes part of Through Route 4 to and from downtown
8/12/18 - through service introduced from downtown, via State St., numbered route 36
2/3/46 - shuttle streetcar route from Halsted to Vincennes converted to buses
7/22/46 - shuttle bus route combined with 42A Vincennes shuttle
9/5/54 - buses substituted on weekends
12/5/55 - streetcar route converted to buses, numbered route 36A
6/16/63 - Vincennes-119th shuttle bus route discontinued
9/28/69 - restructured as feeder route 34, connecting with Dan Ryan rapid transit
9/8/85 - 119th St. service redesignated as route 119 Michigan-119th

First streetcar service was actually an extension of Cottage Grove route, operating via 95th St. between Cottage Grove and Michigan Ave. Route originated at 71st/Cottage Grove until 2/1/14, when Through Route 4 was formed to and from downtown. Effective 8/12/18, segment transferred to become part of State route. For a while, a streetcar shuttle operated on 119th St. between Halsted and Vincennes, replaced by bus route 119, which continued north on Vincennes to 111th St. Vincennes previously had its own streetcar shuttle. Upon opening of the Dan Ryan rapid transit line, State route discontinued south of 95th St., and service restructured to feed into new 95th/Dan Ryan terminal as route 34 South Michigan. Route 34 buses would alternate, serving either 119th/Morgan over former route 36A State, or 138th/Indiana via old route 34 Riverdale. Meanwhile, a South Suburban Safeway Lines (now Pace) bus route 356 had operated between 95th/Dan Ryan and the Altgeld Gardens area, ending at 131st/Ellis. Effective 9/8/85, CTA began operating the 34 route to Altgeld Gardens, while Pace began serving 138th/Indiana and beyond into the suburbs via route 353. The 119th St. service meanwhile was redesignated the 119 route.

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Car House: 77th St.
Bus Garage: 77th St. (3/3/46-9/28/69)
Beverly (9/28/69-6/26/88)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)