OAKLAND TRANSIT

EARLY STREET RAILWAY COMPANIES

Most of these street railway companies eventually became part of a larger streetcar company.


EARLY LOCAL STREET RAILWAY COMPANIES

Not much history is available for the various early individual companies operating horse cars.

Alameda Oakland & Piedmont Electric Railroad - incorporated 1870, opened 1875, electrifed 1893, sold 1898 to Oakland Transit Co.

Berkeley Traction Co. - sold 1906 to Oakland Traction Co.

Central Avenue Railway - incorporated 1891, opened 1893, sold 1898 to Oakland Transit Co.

Claremont University & Ferries Street Railroad Co. - incorporated 1888, ceased operations in 1901 with some service later assumed by Oakland Transit Co.

Consolidated Piedmont Cable - incorporated 1891, sold 1895 to Piedmont & Mountain View Railway Co., sold 1898 to Oakland Transit Co.

East Oakland Street Railway - incorporated 1893, sold 1898 to Oakland Transit Co.

Highland Park & Fruitvale Railroad - opened 1878, electrified 1893, sold 1898 to Oakland Transit Co.

Oakland Consolidated Street Railway - incorporated 1890, acquired Oakland & Berkeley Rapid Transit Co. (incorporated 1891), sold 1898 to Oakland Transit Co.

Oakland Railroad - incorporated 1864, sold 1901 to Oakland Transit Consolidated Co.

Oakland San Leandro & Haywards Electric Railway Consolidated - incorporated 1894 consolidating Oakland San Leandro & Haywards Electric Railway and Twenty-Third Avenue Electric Railway Co, sold 1901 to Oakland Transit Consolidated Co.

Webster Street & Park Railway - sold 1904 to Oakland Traction Consolidated Co.

East Shore & Suburban Railway - incorporated 1906, operated between Oakland and Richmond, sold 1912 to San Francisco-Oakland Terminal Railways.

California Railway - incorporated 1890, sold 1912 to San Francisco-Oakland Terminal Railways.

In 1895, Realty Syndicate was formed as a holding company, to begin consolidation of the local street railways in Oakland. In 1898, Realty Syndicate formed an operating company Oakland Transit Co., which would acquire the street railways. In 1902, Oakland Transit Co. was reorganized as Oakland Transit Consolidated Co., in 1904 as Oakland Traction Consolidated Co., and in 1906 as Oakland Traction Co. In 1912, Oakland Traction Co. was merged with the trans-bay San Francisco Oakland & San Jose Consolidated Railway, forming San Francisco-Oakland Terminal Railways. Although the local and the trans-bay systems continued to be operated separately. Sold in 1923 to Key System Transit Co., and sold in 1946 to National City Lines as subsidiary Key System Transit Lines. Acquired 1960 as publicly owned Alameda Contra Costa County Transit District.


TRANS-BAY RAILWAY COMPANIES

Transit services connecting the East Bay with San Francisco were generally operated separately from the local transit services. Trains connected with ferry boats until 1939, when trains of three railway companies began using the lower level of the newly opened Bay Bridge. In 1958, the lower level of the bridge was paved, and public transportation across the Bay was limited to buses until the 1974 opening of the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) tunnel underneath the Bay.

Key System - incorporated 1902 as San Francisco Oakland & San Jose Railway, opened 1903, merged with San Francisco & Bay Counties Railway in 1908 forming San Francisco Oakland & San Jose Consolidated Railway. In 1912, San Francisco Oakland & San Jose Consolidated Railway was merged with the Oakland Traction Co., forming San Francisco-Oakland Terminal Railways. Although the local and the trans-bay systems continued to be operated separately. Sold in 1923 to Key System Transit Co., and sold in 1946 to National City Lines as subsidiary Key System Transit Lines. Acquired 1960 as publicly owned Alameda Contra Costa County Transit District.

Sacramento Northern Railway - originally formed 1906 as Northern Electric Railway, operating interurban lines north of Sacramento, becoming Sacramento Northern Railway in 1918. In 1927, Sacramento Northern Railway acquired San Francisco-Sacramento Railroad, which had been incorporated 1909 as Oakland & Antioch Railway, renamed 1911 to Oakland Antioch & Eastern Railway, completed 1913 between Oakland and Sacramento, and reorganized 1920 as San Francisco-Sacramento Railroad. Began operating supplemental bus service in 1924. Interurban railway service discontinued 1941, with replacement bus service operated by Pacific Greyhound Lines.

Southern Pacific Railroad - local steam railroad service introduced 1863, electrified 1911. Discontinued 1941, with some routes transferred to Key System.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site