NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT

EARLY STREET RAILWAY COMPANIES - QUEENS

Most of these street railway companies eventually became part of a larger streetcar company.


New York & North Shore Traction Co. - incorporated 1902 as Mineola Roslyn & Port Washington Traction Co., renamed 1907.

After the New York & North Shore Traction Co. failed in 1920, replacement bus service was initially provided by Rauchwerger Bus Co., and starting in 1926 by the North Shore Bus Co. In 1947, the North Shore Bus Co. became the only major bus company in Queens to fail, resulting in the only direct public takeover of bus routes in Queens prior to 2005.


Long Island Electric Railway - chartered 1894, opened 1897, sold 1926 to Jamaica Central Railways Co.

In 1930, Jamaica Central Railways Co. formed a bus subsidiary, Jamaica Buses, Inc. And by 1933, all streetcars were replaced with buses, which continued to be operated by Jamaica Buses, Inc. until 2006, when taken over by MTA Bus.


New York & Queens County Railway - incorporated 1896 as a consolidation of the following four companies.

Flushing & College Point Electric Railway - incorporated 1895, acquiring Flushing & College Point Street Railway Co.

Long Island City & Newtown Railway - incorporated 1893, consolidating the Long Island City & Maspeth Railroad and the Long Island City & Calvary Cemetery Railroad.

Newtown Railway - completed 1895.

Steinway Railway Co. - incorporated 1892, acquiring the Steinway & Hunters Point Railroad, and leasing the Rikers Ave. & Sanford Point Railroad.

In 1932 the New York & Queens County Railway was reorganized as the New York & Queens Transit Corp., and the Steinway Railway Co. became a separate company. In 1926 the New York & Queens County Railway had formed a bus subsidiary, Queens-Nassau Transit Lines. And in 1937, all streetcars were replaced with buses, which continued to be operated by Queens-Nassau Transit Lines successor Queens Surface Corp. until 2005, when taken over by MTA Bus.

In 1938 the Steinway Railway Co. was acquired by the Queensboro Bridge Railway Co., which through a subsidiary Steinway Transit Corp., proceeded to convert the streetcar routes to buses. The Queensboro Bridge Railway Co. continued to operate streetcars across that bridge until 1956.

From 1913 until 1937, the Manhattan & Queens Traction Co. also operated across the Queensboro Bridge, as far east as Woodside. The replacement Manhattan & Queens Bus Corp. in 1943 was acquired by Green Bus Lines.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site