In 1938, The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Transport Company began abandoning the interurban railways. And between 1939 and 1946, Henry P. Bruner acquired most of the remaining pieces of The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Transport Company operations outside Milwaukee, forming a company Kenosha Motor Coach Lines to own most of the lines. Nearly all of the operations eventually wound up with Northland Greyhound Lines. Although a company known as "Speedrail" attempted to continue the interurban railway operations. These last interurban railway lines ceased operations in 1951, after a series of accidents and other problems.
All interurban lines originally used streetcar trackage within Milwaukee, until the 1930 completion of the high speed line between downtown Milwaukee and the west suburbs. There was even a proposal to construct a subway in the heart of downtown Milwaukee for the interurban trains, but the Great Depression prevented that. Much of the abandoned high speed right of way was subsequently used for construction of a freeway.
The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Transport Company operated buses through its subsidiary Wisconsin Motor Bus Lines. That system reached its peak in 1930, but the Great Depression resulted in the abandonment of most of the bus service between 1933 and 1937. After 1937, the only remaining bus service was over various routes in the Milwaukee-Oconomowoc-Watertown-Madison corridor. And in 1947, those operations were sold to Northland Greyhound Lines.
Milwaukee-Hales Corners-East Troy/Burlington
South of Milwaukee
Southwest of Milwaukee
West of Milwaukee
North/Northwest of Milwaukee