1910 - First segment of Valparaiso & Northern Railway opens, extending 3 miles north of Valparaiso to Flint Lake. Valparaiso & Northern Railway was affiliated with Goshen South Bend & Chicago Railroad Co.
1911 - Goshen South Bend & Chicago Railroad Co. completed from La Porte to Goodrum, connecting with Valparaiso & Northern Railway.
1912 - Valparaiso & Northern Railway completed between Valparaiso to Chesterton.
1912 - Gary Connecting Railways Co. line completed between Gary and Woodville, on the Valparaiso & Northern Railway. Gary Connecting Railways Co. was also affiliated with Goshen South Bend & Chicago Railroad Co. Through service introduced from La Porte through Gary to Hammond, with connection to Valparaiso and Chesterton.
1912 - Gary & Southern Traction Co. opens line from Gary south to Crown Point.
1912 - Gary Hobart & Eastern Traction Co. opens line to Hobart, using gas electric car which proved to be unreliable. After 1 month of operation, service suspended for 2 years.
1913 - Goshen South Bend & Chicago Railroad Co., Valparaiso & Northern Railway, Gary Connecting Railways Co., and Gary & Interurban Railway Co. all merge to form Gary & Interurban Railroad Co.
1914 - Gary Hobart & Eastern Traction Co. reopens line to Hobart, using electric operation.
1917 - Gary Hobart & Eastern Traction Co. reorganized as Gary & Hobart Traction Co.
1917 - Gary & Interurban Railroad Co. separated back into former companies, as condition of renewal of Gary streetcar franchise. Goshen South Bend & Chicago Railroad Co. ceases operations, Gary & Valparaiso Railway Co. succeeds Valparaiso & Northern Railway, Gary Connecting Railways Co. becomes Gary & Connecting Railroad, leased to Gary & Valparaiso Railway Co.
1922 - Rail service between Woodville and Chesterton abandoned, replaced with buses.
1923 - Gary & Valparaiso Railway Co., Gary & Connecting Railroad, Gary & Hobart Traction Co., and Gary Street Railway Co. acquired by Midland Utilities, a public utility holding company controlled by Samuel Insull.
1925 - Bus service between Woodville and Chesterton discontinued.
1925 - Midland Utilities consolidates acquisitions from 1923 into Gary Railways Co.
1925 - Gary Railways Co. introduces interurban bus routes operating Gary to Michigan City, Hammond to Cedar Lake, Gary to Hobart and Valparaiso, Gary to Merrillville and Valparaiso, Hammond to Valparaiso, Gary to Hobart, Hobart to Deep River. Also operating was a line from Gary to Crown Point, Rensselaer, and Lafayette, whose history is obscure. In addition, Gary Railways Co. introduces several routes in Hammond-East Chicago-Whiting area, covered in the Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. section of this Web site.
1926 - Shore Line Motor Coach Co. formed as subsidiary of Midland Utilities, to assume all bus operations from Gary Railways Co. Shore Line Motor Coach Co. acquires B. P. Shearon's Bus Line between Michigan City and Benton Harbor, Michigan, which becomes a bus connection to Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad. That railroad was also controlled by Midland Utilities at the time. Shore Line Motor Coach Co. also acquires Carey & Leach Bus Lines Inc., operating between Chicago and Detroit via Kalamazoo, Michigan.
1927 - Shore Line Motor Coach Co. introduces new luxury "Golden Arrow" bus route between South Bend and Detroit, connecting with the Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad trains.
1927 - Shore Line Motor Coach Co. routes east of Michigan City sold to Southwestern Michigan Motor Coach Co., which the following year would be sold to Motor Transit Corp., a predecessor of Greyhound. Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad would operate Benton Harbor bus route until 1963.
1928 - Gary & Southern Traction Co. acquired by Midland Utilities, leased to Gary Railways Co.
1929 - Midland Utilities becomes a subsidiary of Midland United Co., controlled by Samuel Insull.
1931 - All interurban bus routes introduced in 1925 discontinued. Only remaining Shore Line Motor Coach Co. service is in Hammond-East Chicago-Whiting area, which is sold to Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co.
1932 - Gary Railways Co. sold by Midland United Co., becomes subsidiary of Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co., continuing operation as separate company.
1933 - Crown Point rail line abandoned, replaced with buses.
1938 - Valparaiso rail line abandoned, replaced with buses.
1939 - Hobart rail line abandoned, replaced with buses.
1943 - Gary Railways Co. sold to Gary Railways, Inc.
1950's - Bus service to Valparaiso discontinued.
1956 - Gary Railways reorganized, with Gary Transit Inc. formed to operate city bus service, and Gary Intercity Lines Inc. formed to operate interurban bus service.
1971 - All bus service outside Gary discontinued.
1975 - Gary Transit becomes publicly owned Gary Public Transportation Corporation.
1996 - Gary Public Transportation Corporation introduces bus routes to Hammond and to Crown Point.
2007 - V-Line introduces local bus service in Valparaiso, along with connecting service to NICTD rail line.
Schedules of Gary Railways interurban lines, from the August 1923 Russell's Official Eastern States Railway Guide. These scanned images may take a while to download.
Shore Line Motor Coach/Greyhound
The Shore Line Motor Coach service east of Gary had an interesting history, as it evolved to part of Greyhound Lines, operating into Michigan.