Chicago's Union Bus Depot was at the northeast corner of Roosevelt Rd. and Wabash Ave., and was constructed in 1928, and was used by Greyhound. The building still stands and was rehabbed in recent years, with space available for leasing for various businesses.
The Union Bus Depot was one mile south of downtown Chicago. Greyhound buses also made a courtesy stop at a storefront location at 170 N. State St., now occupied by an AT&T Store. To the right and north of the alley was the State Lake Theater, now a storefront studio for WLS Channel 7 ABC News.
From 1953 to 1989, Greyhound used an elaborate terminal at the east side of Clark St. between Randolph St. and Lake St. The bus docks were two levels down. And ramps from the bus dock area connected with Garvey Ct., connecting with Lower Wacker Drive. Wacker Drive is a two level street paralleling the Chicago River. And traffic generally moves well on Lower Wacker Drive, with not many intersecting streets or traffic lights. This enabled rapid access for buses to and from the Greyhound terminal. This view is looking south from Lower Wacker Drive down Garvey Ct., which now connects with Lake Street.
For many years, the Trailways station in downtown Chicago was at 20 E. Randolph St., across the street from Marshall Field's. A parking garage now stands at the former location, while the driveway used by buses to access the station remains in existence.
American Buslines was an independent intercity bus company, which in 1946 became part of Trailways. They had used a separate terminal at 514 S. Wabash Ave., in a building which is now used by Columbia College.