TRANSIT FACILITIES IN DETROIT

TERMINALS/CAR HOUSES/GARAGES

Present and past.


D-DOT TERMINALS

Detroit Department of Transportation presently uses three bus garages, or "terminals", as they are known as in the Detroit area, along with one main headquarters and shop facility:

COOLIDGE TERMINAL
14044 Schaefer Hwy. (east side of street)
Car house/bus garage opened February 26, 1928
Trolleybuses June 14, 1930 to August 11, 1937
Car house closed May 4, 1947
Trolleybuses July 6, 1951 to November 16, 1962

GILBERT TERMINAL
5600 Wabash St. (east side of street)
Bus garage opened June 6, 1948

SHOEMAKER TERMINAL
5149 St. Jean St. (west side of street)
Car house opened July 4, 1922
Temporarily housed buses in 1925
Converted from car house to bus garage July 3, 1939
Trolleybuses December 15, 1949 to March 31, 1961

MAIN OFFICE/SHOPS
1301 Warren Ave. East (north side of street)
Opened in 1972


FORMER CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES

All housed strictly streetcars unless noted as bus garages. All have been demolished.

ATKINSON
Temporary car house opened January 5, 1922
Closed January 12, 1924
Consolidated into Michigan

AMSTERDAM
Amsterdam St. and Woodward Av. (southwest corner)
Car house opened early 1900's
Closed 1920

BAKER
Vernor Hwy. and Livernois Av. (northwest corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Temporarily closed February 19, 1940 to August 31, 1942
Closed October 2, 1949
Consolidated into Wyoming

BRUSH
Russell St. and Ferry Av. (northeast corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Closed January 31, 1932
Consolidated into Woodward

CLARK
Clark Av. north of West Jefferson Av. (west side of street)
Car house opened in 1800's
Converted from car house to bus garage December 12, 1925
Bus garage closed December 5, 1937

CONCORD
Concord Av. and Kercheval Av. (northwest corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Renamed from Kercheval December 1, 1924
Closed November 16, 1932

DRAGOON
Vernor Hwy. and Dragoon Av. (southwest corner)
Car house opened early 1900's
Closed/replaced by Baker

GRATIOT
Gratiot Av. and Harper Av. (northwest corner)
Car house opened early 1900's
Closed September 8, 1954
Consolidated into Woodward

HARPER
Harper Av. and Mt. Elliott Av. (southeast corner)
Car house opened early 1900's
Closed January 29, 1923
Consolidated into Gratiot

HIGHLAND PARK (SECOND AVENUE)
2nd Av. and Manchester Av. (northwest corner)
Shops opened early 1900's
Bus garage opened August 22, 1925
Temporary car house created October 16, 1955
Car house closed April 8, 1956
Bus garage closed December 28, 1972

EAST JEFFERSON
East Jefferson Av. and St. Jean Av. (northeast corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Renamed from Jefferson December 1, 1924
Bus garage opened October 17, 1925
Bus garage closed April 1, 1928
Buses transferred to Kercheval
Closed September 5, 1951

WEST JEFFERSON
West Jefferson Av. and Brennan Av. (northeast corner)
Car house opened early 1900's
Temporarily housed buses in 1925
Closed March 1, 1931
Replaced by Wyoming

KERCHEVAL
St. Jean Av. and Kercheval Av. (northeast corner)
Car house opened early 1900's
Renamed from St. Jean December 1, 1924
Converted from car house to bus garage April 1, 1928
Streetcars transferred to Shoemaker
Bus garage closed July 3, 1939
Replaced by Shoemaker

MICHIGAN
Michigan Av. and Military Av. (southwest corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Closed August 8, 1931
Replaced by Wyoming

THIRD AVENUE
Holden Av. and Hamilton Av. (southwest corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Closed 1909

TRUMBULL
Trumbull Ave. and Stanley Av. (northwest corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Closed March 13, 1926
Consolidated into Woodward

WARREN
Warren Av. and Lawton Av. (southeast corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Closed November 16, 1930
Replaced by Coolidge

WOODWARD
Woodward Av. and Manchester Av. (northwest corner)
Car house opened in 1800's
Closed October 16, 1955
Consolidated into Highland Park

WYOMING
Wyoming Av. and Michigan Av. (southeast corner)
Car house opened March 3, 1930
Bus garage opened June 21, 1943
Car house temporarily closed June 20,1948 to October 2, 1949
Car house closed September 7, 1955
Trolleybuses December 15, 1949 to March 31, 1961
Bus garage closed September 30, 1963


FORMER DETROIT BUS GARAGES

Bus garages operated by Detroit Motorbus, and the Department of Street Railways.


TRANSIT FACILITY LOCATIONS (EAST OF WOODWARD)

TRANSIT FACILITY LOCATIONS (WEST OF WOODWARD)

Links to locations of past and present car houses and garages, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.