TRANSIT FACILITIES IN SUBURBAN DETROIT


PRESENT BUS GARAGES

SMART presently uses three bus garages, or "terminals", as they are known as in the Detroit area:

MACOMB TERMINAL
22900 Fifteen Mile Rd., Clinton Township (south side of street)
Opened in 1977

OAKLAND TERMINAL
2021 Barrett St., Troy (west side of street)
Opened in 1977

WAYNE TERMINAL
30000 Industrial Dr., Inkster (north side of street)
Opened in 1979


FORMER BUS GARAGES

LAKE SHORE COACH LINES
11840 Edlie St., Detroit
Opened July 15, 1921 for Detroit Motorbus Co.
Acquired by Lake Shore Coach Lines in 1932
Acquired by SEMTA from Lake Shore Coach Lines in 1971
Closed in 1977, replaced by SEMTA Macomb Terminal

METROPOLITAN TRANSIT
5645 Hartwell Av., Dearborn
Opened January, 1926
Renamed Fordson Garage
Acquired by Dearborn Coach Co. in 1932
Acquired by SEMTA from Metropolitan Transit in 1974
Closed in 1979, replaced by SEMTA Wayne Terminal

GREAT LAKES TRANSIT/BIRMINGHAM DIVISION
391 S. Woodward Av., Birmingham
Acquired by SEMTA from Great Lakes Transit in 1974
Closed in 1977, replaced by SEMTA Oakland Terminal

GREAT LAKES TRANSIT/ROSEVILLE DIVISION
30609 Gratiot Av., Roseville
Acquired by SEMTA from Great Lakes Transit in 1974
Closed in 1977, replaced by SEMTA Macomb Terminal

GREAT LAKES TRANSIT/WYANDOTTE DIVISION
3687 Fort Hwy., Wyandotte
Acquired by SEMTA from Great Lakes Transit in 1974
Closed in 1979, replaced by SEMTA Wayne Terminal

MARTIN LINES
Main St. and 15 Mile Rd., Royal Oak
Opened 1947
Closed in 1975

PONTIAC CITY LINES (1930'S)
331 Franklin Rd., Pontiac

PONTIAC CITY LINES (1940'S)
20 S. West Alley, Pontiac

PONTIAC CITY LINES (1950'S)
200 N. Paddock St., Pontiac


GARAGE LOCATIONS

Links to locations of present and past garages, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.