Electric interurban railways historically operated in several directions from Cleveland. Some segments of these interurban railways, closer to Cleveland, eventually evolved to bus routes still operating in Cleveland.
Several independent private or municipal suburban bus systems existed in the Cleveland area. Some evolving from the interurban railways, some starting new. Some systems were eventually absorbed by the Cleveland Transit System (CTS) during its years of operation. After the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (GCRTA) was formed in 1975, additional systems were initially operated under contract with GCRTA, and subsequently absorbed by GCRTA.
Brecksville Road Transit - operations absorbed by GCRTA in 1984, Route 77F.
Broadview Bus Co. - began operations in 1950 with service between Broadview and downtown Cleveland. Acquired by CTS in 1961, CTS Route 35, GCRTA Route 51B.
BIC Transit - operations absorbed by GCRTA in 1975.
City Of Euclid - local municipal bus system began operations in 1935, route to downtown Cleveland introduced in 1970. Operations absorbed by GCRTA in 1979.
Garfield Heights Coach Lines - subsidiary of Cleveland Southeastern Bus Co., which in 1932 succeeded Northern Ohio Traction & Light interurban line between Cleveland and Bedford, which was abandoned at that time. Garfield Heights Coach Lines service between Garfield Heights and Cleveland introduced in 1947. Operations absorbed by GCRTA in 1982, Route 76.
Lakewood Rapid Transit Co. - began operations in 1937 with service between Lakewood and downtown Cleveland. Acquired by CTS in 1954, Route 65, discontinued.
Maple Heights Transit - municipal bus system began operations in 1935, with route to downtown Cleveland and another route connecting with Shaker Heights Rapid Transit. Operationally still separate from GCRTA, GCRTA Route 90F.
North Olmstead Municipal Bus Lines - municipal bus system began operations in 1931 with line into downtown Cleveland, succeeding Cleveland Southwestern Railway & Light Co. interurban line, which was abandoned at that time. Various additional lines were created in subsequent years. Operationally still separate from GCRTA, GCRTA Route 75 and 86.
Redifer Bus System - began charter and sightseeing operations in 1926. In 1937, introduced service between Cleveland and University Heights, but was ordered to cease service in 1940 upon objections by Cleveland Railway. In 1942, introduced routes between downtown Cleveland and various eastern suburbs. In 1947, acquired Shepard Bus Co., also serving same general territory. Some service sold or abandoned during 1960's. Remaining service acquired by CTS in 1968, CTS and GCRTA Route 9.
Cleveland Route History
How these routes evolved into bus routes operated by GCRTA.