ANN ARBOR TRANSIT
Official Web site of the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority.
In 1969, the Ann Arbor Transportation Authority became responsible for all transit lines in the Ann Arbor area. The last streetcars ran in 1925.
In 1890, the Ann Arbor Street Railway Co. introduced electric streetcar service in Ann Arbor. For many years, the streetcar system was part of the Detroit United Railway, which also operated interurban lines in the area. And after the streetcars were replaced with buses in 1925, various companies operated the buses until the public takeover in 1969.
Map showing streetcar system at its peak.
Streetcars operated in Ann Arbor until 1925.
Buses have operated in Ann Arbor since 1925.
The various carhouses in the Ann Arbor area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage.
Contemporary photos of buses in Ann Arbor, taken by Chris Duva.
Some information for this page is from the four volumes of "When Eastern Michigan Rode The Rails", by Jack E. Schramm, William H. Henning, and Richard R. Andrews. Additional information is from the November 1979 issue of the magazine "Motor Coach Age".
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site