ANN ARBOR TRANSIT HISTORY

1866 - Original Ann Arbor Street Railway Co. incorporated to construct local streetcar system in Ann Arbor, but fails to receive a franchise.

1888 - A second Ann Arbor Street Railway Co. incorporated to construct local streetcar system in Ann Arbor.

1890 - Ann Arbor Street Railway Co. introduces electric streetcar service.

1890 - Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti Street Railway incorporated to construct steam dummy car line between those two cities.

1891 - Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti Street Railway line completed. Company acquires Ann Arbor Street Railway Co., operator of local streetcars there. Two companies continue to be operated separately, with cars switched at city limits, pulled behind either steam dummy locomotives or electric city streetcars.

1896 - Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti Electric Railway Co. incorporated, acquires Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti Street Railway and Ann Arbor Street Railway Co. Line to Ypsilanti electrified, enabling through service.

1897 - Detroit Ypsilanti & Ann Arbor Railway incorporated to construct interurban line connecting those cities. First segment opens west of Detroit to Dearborn.

1898 - Detroit Ypsilanti & Ann Arbor Railway acquires Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti Electric Railway Co., and completes line.

1899 - Ypsilanti & Saline Electric Railway introduces interurban service between those towns.

1901 - Detroit Ypsilanti Ann Arbor & Jackson Railway incorporated to acquire Detroit Ypsilanti & Ann Arbor Railway, and Ypsilanti & Saline Electric Railway, and to extend interurban line west to Jackson. By end of year, service operating over new route between Ann Arbor and Grass Lake. Introduction of through service from Detroit delayed, pending construction of crossing with Ann Arbor steam railroad in Ann Arbor.

1902 - Through service between Detroit and Jackson introduced.

1907 - Detroit Jackson & Chicago Railway formed as subsidiary of Detroit United Railway, and acquires Detroit Ypsilanti Ann Arbor & Jackson Railway, and Detroit Plymouth & Northville Railway.

1922 - Department of Street Railways assumes operation of streetcar lines within city of Detroit. Detroit United Railway continues to operate into downtown Detroit, using city streetcar tracks for a fee.

1925 - Streetcars in Ann Arbor replaced with buses, operated by newly formed Detroit United Railway subsidiary People's Motor Coach Co.

1925 - Interurban railway service between Ypsilanti & Saline Electric replaced with buses, operated by People's Motor Coach Co.

1928 - Detroit Jackson & Chicago Railway sold to Michigan Electric Railway, as most of remainder of Detroit United Railway is sold to Eastern Michigan Railways. Bus companies owned by Detroit United Railway become part of new subsidiary Eastern Michigan Motorbuses.

1929 - Remaining interurban railway service between Detroit and Jackson discontinued, replaced with buses operated by Eastern Michigan Motorbuses.

1933 - Bus service in Ann Arbor assumed by Ann Arbor Transportation Co.

1936 - Ann Arbor Transportation Co. ceases operations, local bus service assumed by Ann Arbor City Bus Co.

1941 - Eastern Michigan Motorbuses sold to Great Lakes Greyhound Lines.

1943 - Ann Arbor City Bus Co. sold to Great Lakes Greyhound Lines, with local company known as Ann Arbor City Bus, Inc.

1957 - Greyhound ceases local operations, which are assumed by Ann Arbor Transit, Inc.

1959 - Ann Arbor Transit ceases operations, which are assumed by City Bus Co. of Ann Arbor.

1963 - City Bus Co. of Ann Arbor ceases operations, which are assumed by Ann Arbor Public Bus Service.

1964 - Ann Arbor Public Bus Service ceases operations, City Bus Co. of Ann Arbor resumes operations.

1968 - City Bus Co. of Ann Arbor ceases operations, which are assumed by Ann Arbor City Transit, Inc.

1969 - Ann Arbor City Transit becomes publicly owned Ann Arbor Transportation Authority.


In addition, according to the 1952 "Mass Transportation's Directory", there existed a company Decker Bus Lines, which provided city service in Ypsilanti.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site